How to translate a TOC in Trados...
Thread poster: Lagom
Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:20
Swedish to English
Feb 21, 2007

Could anyone point me in the right direction for some information on translating tables of content in MS Word using Trados?

Thanks,
Ben

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 10:20
German to English
+ ...
Translate the document, clean it, then update the TOC Feb 21, 2007

Hi Benjamin!

First translate the document (initially leaving out the TOC). Then clean the document, then right click in the TOC and choose the option "update all fields" (or something like that).

The headlines in the document will have been formatted to appear in the TOC, and these should automatically update when you update the TOC.

HTH

Alison

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
I think Trados leaves the TOC alone Feb 21, 2007

It is a field (right-click the TOC, click Toggle field codes). Translate as usual, and update according to Alison's advice.
Goodnight,
Philippe

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
what I do, is delete TOC in source... Feb 21, 2007

...and recreate it - just before delivering - in the target. Fact is, a caption is a caption, a title a title - once translated, you'll always get a TOC out of them.

Fact is, it works in this specific case of a "Field" class, as available and used in Word. The other instance of "Field" is figure captions and so far I have not found any satisfactory way of coping with them (pls note, I do cope with them somehow, but I don't know how and why;)

So - supplementary questio
... See more
...and recreate it - just before delivering - in the target. Fact is, a caption is a caption, a title a title - once translated, you'll always get a TOC out of them.

Fact is, it works in this specific case of a "Field" class, as available and used in Word. The other instance of "Field" is figure captions and so far I have not found any satisfactory way of coping with them (pls note, I do cope with them somehow, but I don't know how and why;)

So - supplementary question - how do you, dear reader, handle figure captions in Word files under Trados (or any other way).

Regards

smo

PS: I'll try the right-click/translate Voodoo magic on figure captions, but it would rather strange (after all I have tried) not to have stumbled on it myself.

[Edited at 2007-02-21 20:12]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Vito, would you plese descirbe your problem more detailed? Feb 21, 2007

What do you need to do? Change the figure caption ie from "Fig. nn" to "Bild nn?

Regards
Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I use "Find and Replace" to translate Word fields Feb 21, 2007

Fortunately, this feature is not so popular with the users.
On the other hand, those who have discovered it use it heavily as a rule (such as reference to various names, figure captions etc.) .

Even my favourite Transit cannot really translate "Word programmable fields" - I would be interested in learning how to do it "properly" if there is a way...

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate a TOC in Trados...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »