How can I translate txt-files with Trados?
Thread poster: Ann Louise Rodríguez

Ann Louise Rodríguez
Denmark
Local time: 13:31
English to Danish
+ ...
Feb 21, 2007

Dear colleagues,

So my client is sending me all these txt-files, and I am wondering if I can import the files to Word or Tageditor?

I have the latest Trados version and XP as OP.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

Ann Louise

Direct link Reply with quote

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Open in Word Feb 21, 2007

You can open txt files with Word and from there you can translate as normal. You could even change the extension to doc or rtf.

txt just means there is no formatting which makes things easier. If you create doc files, you can use TagEditor.

Ann Louise Rodríguez
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ohh... Feb 21, 2007

Now that's easy! I thought there would be some hidden tags or something!

Thank you so much for you help

Kind regards,

Ann Louise

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TXT or TTX? Feb 21, 2007

Hi Ann Louise,

If you are getting text files (extension .txt), then Marijke's advice is correct.

Nowadays, though, a lot of agencies send TRADOStag files (extension .ttx) to be translated in TagEditor. This what the Translator's Workbench User Guide says:

>
TRADOStag is the default bilingual file format in Translator’s Workbench and TagEditor. It is an XML-based format that provides a standard method for representing tagged text formats and bilingual data for translation purposes. TRADOStag files have a TTX extension.

Tagged text formats that are automatically converted to TRADOStag during the pre-translation and translation processes include XML, HTML, SGML, PowerPoint, Excel, and DTP file formats such as InDesign, QuarkXPress, PageMaker and Ventura.

For more information about the characteristics and requirements of specific file formats during translation, see the TRADOS File Formats Reference Guide. For more information about
FrameMaker and Interleaf files in particular, see the S-Tagger User Guide.
>

HTH

Giles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I translate txt-files with Trados?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search