https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/66894-specifying_fields_for_translation_in_excel_document.html

specifying fields for translation in Excel document
Thread poster: Lynda Tharratt
Lynda Tharratt
Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2007

Hi, I have Trados Freelance 2006 and I'm not really sure yet what I'm doing. I have to translate an Excel file so from the help pages I have determined that I have to do this with Tag Editor. However, the client only wants information under certain headings translated so I don't know how to go about knowing which data belongs below which heading unless I open the original document in another window. Can anybody please help? I've searched all the tutorials, online questions etc. and I guess this ... See more
Hi, I have Trados Freelance 2006 and I'm not really sure yet what I'm doing. I have to translate an Excel file so from the help pages I have determined that I have to do this with Tag Editor. However, the client only wants information under certain headings translated so I don't know how to go about knowing which data belongs below which heading unless I open the original document in another window. Can anybody please help? I've searched all the tutorials, online questions etc. and I guess this question is just to simple to be mentioned ánd I'm just an idiot!Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:39
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use filter settings Feb 26, 2007

Lynda Tharratt wrote:

Hi, I have Trados Freelance 2006 and I'm not really sure yet what I'm doing. I have to translate an Excel file so from the help pages I have determined that I have to do this with Tag Editor. However, the client only wants information under certain headings translated so I don't know how to go about knowing which data belongs below which heading unless I open the original document in another window. Can anybody please help? I've searched all the tutorials, online questions etc. and I guess this question is just to simple to be mentioned ánd I'm just an idiot!

Hi Lynda,

If the columns are consistent (ie all content in one column should be translated, another contains no translatable segments), you can use the SDL Filter Settings from the Start Menu.

Just hide the non-translatable segments in Excel first, uncheck the filter (Translate content from hidden columns) before opening Trados.
Afterwards, go back to Excel and unhide all columns again. Done!

I agree that the documentation is very sketchy on all the filter capabilities. They are very powerful, but most users tend to miss them.

/Jan

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Hide it... Feb 26, 2007

I don't think it is a stupid question, as I've asked it myself

http://www.proz.com/topic/48701

The answer is that you can hide text in Excel, which is then excluded from translation in TagEditor (provided you have set the proper option with TradosFilterSettings).

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:39
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Another approach Feb 26, 2007

When you work with Trados, sometimes you do get the (wrong) feeling you're an idiot... Happened to all of us.

A simpler approach would be to copy only those columns that need translating onto a fresh Excel document, and then translate them with TagEditor.

Once finished, you run the Save as Target command in TagEditor, open the translated Excel file, and copy the translated columns back into the original document.
You MUST then check that they're well-aligned with
... See more
When you work with Trados, sometimes you do get the (wrong) feeling you're an idiot... Happened to all of us.

A simpler approach would be to copy only those columns that need translating onto a fresh Excel document, and then translate them with TagEditor.

Once finished, you run the Save as Target command in TagEditor, open the translated Excel file, and copy the translated columns back into the original document.
You MUST then check that they're well-aligned with the existing columns.

Don't forget to have a backup copy of the original doc for emergencies...

Good luck, Doron
Collapse

Lynda Tharratt
Lynda Tharratt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks... Feb 26, 2007

Thanks so much everybody. You've been a big help. I will try your suggestions. Hope everyone's having a better day than I am, I sent the completed translation but when it loads fully the fields turn back to French. Now I have to fix this!

Zita Petrán
Zita Petrán
German to Hungarian
I would like rather to hide as to delete Mar 20, 2007

Hi, all!

Doron Greenspan wrote:
ou MUST then check that they're well-aligned with the existing columns.[/quote]

Good Idea, but I'm really afraid to lose or to add several lines by chance during the translation process, so I wouldn't try it, just to cut out and than copy the translated columns back into the original document.

However, I can't find the pane for the other solution, where you can mark hidden columns as non-translatable in Trados. On the two panes for "Project and Filter Settings" I can only find "New", "Approved" and "Read Only" as capable status to choose.

My question is: Where can I set in Trados, not to translate hidden Excel-columns?

Best regards
Zita

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

specifying fields for translation in Excel document

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »