Indesign inx 'save as target'
Thread poster: xxxAchimT
xxxAchimT
English
Feb 28, 2007

Sometimes when saving an inx as target (i.e. back from ttx to inx from within Tag Editor) I get an error message about unexpected paragraphs or styles in a contentflow tag section.

I cannot find a logical explanation as everything seems logical and clean, and so far the only solution I have is a translate to fuzzy, which surprisingly seems to work every time.

The problem seems to occur mainly when I try to export files obtained from another machine.

The Trados versions involved are always 7.1 and higher, the machine used for exporting now runs 7.5 build 559. Indesign is CS2, 4.04.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance for all comments

Direct link Reply with quote

iamsara
Local time: 21:57
English to Spanish
Dis you modify any tag? Mar 1, 2007

Hi, it happened to me today and the problem was I altered the order of some tags. Tray verifying tags.

On the other hand, if you are having problems saving target as, try this:

When Save Target As operation is executed on *.INX.TTX file, the source *.INX file must exist in one of these two locations:
- the folder where *.INX.TTX file is currently stored
- the folder where *.INX.TTX file was first created using Save Bilingual As function in TagEditor.

Place source *.INX file in one of these two locations and repeat the TagEditor operation.

Hope this helps

xxxAchimT
English
TOPIC STARTER
Indesign inx 'save asd target' Mar 2, 2007

Thanks for your reply.

At first I also thought the translator had changed some tags. But then I found out that that probably was not the case.

When this error occurs during exporting, I typically see an error message referring to some unexpected paragraph tag in a contentflow section.

This error is not detected by the Verifier plugin. If I analyze the ttx file (in Tag Editor and in a text editor), I cannot see any non-matching tag pairs. The only things that are not paired in that section are two 'paragraphbreak' tags, but these exists in other contentflow sections as well, where they don't seem to have any detrimental effect.

I.e., the tag structure within the specified contentflow section looks perfectly sound.

Sometimes the translator can export the file on his own system when I cannot. On the other hand, sometimes (s)he cannot export it either. The effect is also not limited to my system, an attempt to export it on other systems also fails if it fails on my system.

What so far has always worked was translating the document to fuzzy from the TM. After this, the files could be exported. But I cannot find any difference in the tag structure around the mentioned contentflow section.

Well, so far so good, but it is unsatisfactory as after a translate to fuzzy, obviously the translator has to check the entire file again to be sure everything is fine.

Thanks again for all suggestions!!

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Always clean on the same machine Mar 2, 2007

AchimT wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

At first I also thought the translator had changed some tags. But then I found out that that probably was not the case.

When this error occurs during exporting, I typically see an error message referring to some unexpected paragraph tag in a contentflow section.

This error is not detected by the Verifier plugin. If I analyze the ttx file (in Tag Editor and in a text editor), I cannot see any non-matching tag pairs. The only things that are not paired in that section are two 'paragraphbreak' tags, but these exists in other contentflow sections as well, where they don't seem to have any detrimental effect.

I.e., the tag structure within the specified contentflow section looks perfectly sound.

Sometimes the translator can export the file on his own system when I cannot. On the other hand, sometimes (s)he cannot export it either. The effect is also not limited to my system, an attempt to export it on other systems also fails if it fails on my system.

What so far has always worked was translating the document to fuzzy from the TM. After this, the files could be exported. But I cannot find any difference in the tag structure around the mentioned contentflow section.

Well, so far so good, but it is unsatisfactory as after a translate to fuzzy, obviously the translator has to check the entire file again to be sure everything is fine.

Thanks again for all suggestions!!

Hi Achim,

We've been in touch with Trados support about this issue too.
They tell us that it's crucial that the TTX is always cleaned on the same machine and installation where it was translated.
There are many small arbitrary settings in Trados, which will affect the way tags are handled.

Especially switching between versions of Trados can introduce errors - and evoke the infamous indesign/inDesign bug (search the forum!).

If "save target as" gives you problems, cleaning in TWB can be more lenient.

Best,

Jan

[Edited at 2007-03-02 12:14]

xxxAchimT
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 2, 2007

Well the Indesign/InDesign thing is easily cured. Not so this contentflow/paragraph issue.

Like you confirm, I've also found that it seems to have to do with some difference between Trados installations. This one, however, even occurs when both machines have 7.5/756 installed, for example.

Well, I think we'll just have to wait. I'll try using the WB next time, I had AAMOF not tried that so far.

Thanks for your help!

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Same problem and solution Mar 7, 2007

Hello,

the problem occurs if you have different settings (Process forced returns) in the Indesign section of your Filter settings.

Make sure, that you have the same settings on both machines and it will work. (Hope so).

Regards

Hans

xxxAchimT
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 7, 2007

Thanks a lot. I will try this in the next projects.

I'll keep this thread updated about whether the problem occurs again when your advice is being followed or not in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Indesign inx 'save as target'

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search