Thread poster: Brandon Wood
Brandon Wood
Brandon Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:27
Japanese to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2007

Hey everybody. I am having a real headache using Trados here... I am translating a technical manual for a company, and they want a Trados bilingual file delivered back to them. I thought "That's no problem!" until I started to translate the file. The word file uses the "fields" feature in Microsoft Word (specifically the REF feature) to substitute in chapter titles and subtitles throughout the document. You may have seen this feature used for table of contents... seems to be fairly popular for t... See more
Hey everybody. I am having a real headache using Trados here... I am translating a technical manual for a company, and they want a Trados bilingual file delivered back to them. I thought "That's no problem!" until I started to translate the file. The word file uses the "fields" feature in Microsoft Word (specifically the REF feature) to substitute in chapter titles and subtitles throughout the document. You may have seen this feature used for table of contents... seems to be fairly popular for that. This field will also allow you to CTRL+Click on it to jump straight to that section. Nifty, but TRADOS is really messing things up when trying to translate these. First of all, it doesn't pick them up as a segment, so it's impossible to translate whatever is inside there. It IS possible to translate the target of that field though, which I thought would automatically fill in all the other REF fields with my translation. However, it seems to be really messing everything up and causing REFs to point to other sections and mess up the formatting everywhere. Has anyone had any experience with this? How can I translate this file with TRADOS?Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 17:27
German
+ ...
Known problem Mar 9, 2007

Alas, this is a known problem. The fields are fine and are not damaged by Trados. It's the bookmarks that the field codes point to that get expanded/moved.

Using TagEditor 7.1/7.5 to translate these Word files should alleviate the problem somewhat, although in my experience it doesn't entirely stop this phenomenon from occurring.

Sorry, but that's all I can say.

HTH,
Benjamin

Brandon Wood
Brandon Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:27
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 9, 2007

Thanks for the tip, I'll see what I can do. Right now I am ignoring the fields and translating the rest. I think I will go back and edit it manually later or try TagEditor.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word REF Fields and TRADOS

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »