SDL/Trados Translator's Workbench Freelance will not open
Thread poster: Robert Fischer
Robert Fischer  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
German to English
Mar 9, 2007

After resetting my wireless router yesterday, I find it impossible to open Trados Workbench (Version 7 operating under XP). The error message is "An error occured while trying to verify the license. Please check the installation and try again." I have resinstalled the program two times and also downloaded a new copy of the license, all to no avail. The licenses tests OK in License Manager.
When I move the license to a location where Workbench cannot find, the program does open in demo mode. Any help will be much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 22:06
German
+ ...
Are you sure all you changed was the router? Mar 10, 2007

You didn't happen to change your network interface card (or change its MAC address) in the process, did you? Or maybe you set up your router to clone your NIC's MAC address?

SDL Trados licenses are bound to either the serial number of your hard disk or the MAC address of your network interface card. So if you change those or if duplicate IDs are detected, problems like the one described by you may occur.

Whatever the case may be, here's a link to SDL's support page:
http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

HTH,
Benjamin

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I did reconfigure the network with full security. Mar 12, 2007

I added a new adapter to the network and also connected a wireless printer. In so doing, I finally set up the network with security. I probably did change the settings you mentioned.

Trados was still opening in the secondary computer so I at least have been able to work. I hope Trados support will get back with me Monday.

Thanks for your help.

xxxF Schultze  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
Danish to English
+ ...
Did you solve your "verify the license" problem? Apr 23, 2007

Hello Robert,
I have the same problem. Everything checks out ok - just can't start the workbench.
Best regards,
Flemming

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Support sent help Apr 23, 2007

Hello Flemming,

After quite a bit of back-and-forth with Trados Support, I finally received a patch that resolved the problem. About a week ago, I deleted the messages between us but I do still have the patch which I suppose I could send you. The only thing I remember is that I had to make some kind of change to TW4WIN and then install the patch. Now I wish I had saved the details. Perhaps something is available on the Trados Knowledge Base or whatever it is called.
Best regards,
Robert

Claudio Pagliarani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
SDL/Trados Workbench won't open/create new TM's Apr 24, 2007

Robert Fischer wrote:

Hello Flemming,

After quite a bit of back-and-forth with Trados Support, I finally received a patch that resolved the problem. About a week ago, I deleted the messages between us but I do still have the patch which I suppose I could send you. The only thing I remember is that I had to make some kind of change to TW4WIN and then install the patch. Now I wish I had saved the details. Perhaps something is available on the Trados Knowledge Base or whatever it is called.
Best regards,
Robert

Hello,

I have experienced the same problems.
I have already installed TRADOS 2007 once, uninstalled it completely, then formatted everything and eventually reinstalled all the office and SDLX/trados applications.
Thus I discovered that Workbench works perfectly if no Antivirus, no Firewall, no protection system is active (Windows Firewall disabled, too).
I would be very interested in getting more details on the patch and the changes applied to TW4WIN. This could save me a lot of time reconfiguring my LAN and setting up different firewall and antivirus systems.
Thank you.
Claudio

Dagmar Sperling
English to German
+ ...
Same problems with opening Workbench May 2, 2007

Hello,

since I have experienced the same problems (Workbench won't open), I already un-installed and re-installed SDL Trados2006 a thousand times (felt value), checked the License Manager (everything ok) and finally spoke to Trados Support, all of which were kind, but couldn't help too much. Now I read that Fischer wrote something about a patch? This could be my remedy....I already had to cancel quite a number of considerable jobs due to this problem.
Thanks in advance!!

Dagmar

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
The patch May 2, 2007

Hello Dagmar,

I do still have the patch that I received from Trados support. I appears to be a replacement of TW4WIN.exe. Here are the instructions for using it:

1. Rename TW4Win.exe in C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2006_FL\TT
to TW4Win_orig.exe.
2. Exteract TW4Win.exe from ZIP file to C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2006_FL\TT folder.

I would be happy to send it to you if you could let me know your address.

I thought installing Trados 2007 would help. It opens every time but now I get an error message with each translation unit I open.

Regards,
Robert

Dagmar Sperling
English to German
+ ...
Trados Patch May 3, 2007

Hello Robert,

thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I would be happy if you could sent me the patch! My e-mail address is as follows: dagmarsperling@aol.com or Sperling@linuxmail.org.
So installing Trados 2007 doesn't help either! That's good to know...I already ordered the 2007 upgrade...to be quite honest, I sometimes think we all would be better off without Trados, but then again they seem to control the market...

Again, thank you very much!

Best wishes,

Dagmar

Nicolas Delucchi
Local time: 17:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please, send it to me too. May 31, 2007

Robert, would you be kind enough to send me the patch, too?

send it to profedelucchi at yahoo.com.ar

I'm tired of waiting for Trados support to answer my prayers.

canicastro
English to Spanish
TW4 Win.exe No disk error (Trados) Dec 27, 2011

Hi,

I was reading about this error message and I am having so much trouble with it. Would you please tell me if you solve your problem? I cannot open Trados 7 because TW4Win.exe appears and it reads: No disk.

Appreciate your help!

Dora Evagelinaki  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:06
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
Same problem here Jan 3, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm having exactly the same issue. Robert, could you please send me the patch?

I would really appreciate it.

Best,
Dora

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I do not have the patch anymore Jan 3, 2012

Hello Dora,

It has been years since I have worked in Trados 2007 after having switched to SDL Trados 2009, which I highly recommend. I cannot help you with the patch for the old version.

Best,
Robert

Dora Evagelinaki  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:06
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
Thank you, Robert Jan 3, 2012

Hi Robert,

thank you for your kind reply.

I also use Trados Studio 2009 but I have a certain client who insists on using a TM server memory which opens only with Trados 2006 or Trados 2007.

But thanks anyway

Best,
Dora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL/Trados Translator's Workbench Freelance will not open

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search