Tag Editor - how to find the end when re-opening .ttx
Thread poster: Julia Esrom

Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:16
German to English
+ ...
Mar 13, 2007

It seems such a trivial question, but I have to ask: When I re-open a .ttx translation in progress, how do I find the spot where I last finished off translating in a very large Tag Editor .ttx file without having to scroll down forever? It works to write down the last translated section and then use "find"... but there must be an easier way to do this!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:16
English to Indonesian
+ ...
translate to fuzzy Mar 13, 2007

although it will also take some times, i would definitely use this.

Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
XXX Mar 13, 2007

Hi Julia,

I have used this method: I simply enter XXX (or whatever strange combination you might think of) into the last translated sentence. On reopening TagEditor I search for XXX and voilà...

Have a nice day.
Heike

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Strange that expensive software does not offer such an obvious function, isn't it? Mar 13, 2007

Heike Steffens wrote:

Hi Julia,

I have used this method: I simply enter XXX (or whatever strange combination you might think of) into the last translated sentence. On reopening TagEditor I search for XXX and voilà...

Have a nice day.
Heike

Dear Heike,

a similar suggestion was given when I asked about a possibility to mark segments that I'd like to work on later.
I find it quite strange that such an expensive software does not offer a neat solution for this problem.
Until this changes, your method does of course work...

Cheers,
Erik

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Comments Mar 13, 2007

In the new versions TE allows to attach comments to segments. While it still is not perfect, it is certainly useful...

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Comments - bis Mar 13, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

In the new versions TE allows to attach comments to segments. While it still is not perfect, it is certainly useful...

I use that too. I enter a comment at the segment where I left my translation and when I re-open TagEditor, I just open the Comments pane and click on my comment. It takes me immediately to the segment. Not perfect, but works well for now!

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Mar 13, 2007

Thanks everybody for your input! Sounds like we have a little project for Trados developers.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Other, more pressing issues Mar 14, 2007

Julia Esrom wrote:

Thanks everybody for your input! Sounds like we have a little project for Trados developers.

I don't know. It works real well with the comments and I'd rather the Trados programmers concentrate on fixing the many bugs their software still has, e.g. in the WordTTX export/import filter.

Just my two cents,

Benjamin

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good point Mar 14, 2007

That´s true enough!

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Custom plugin Mar 16, 2007

If anyone is still following this thread, I have thrown a plugin together which should do just that. That is, if you close a ttx document and open it again, then the cursor should go back to the segment where it was then.

Please be aware that it is very experimental, so I do not want to hear that it messed up your Trados, reformatted your hard drive, kissed your boyfriend or ate your dog. It did nothing of the kind here, but I don't have a boyfriend. Or a dog. There is a chance that it might even work, but it is a first version, so it is not likely.

Contact me or write here, I will give the link to the plugin.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor - how to find the end when re-opening .ttx

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search