TagEditor error 80005: This file cannot be opened, as it contains one or more corrupt characters
Thread poster: Victòria Peñafiel Ducròs
Victòria Peñafiel Ducròs
Victòria Peñafiel Ducròs
Spain
Local time: 15:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2007

Hi there!

I was using TagEditor 7.5.0.756 and I imported a bunch of InDesign CS2 files (previously exported as INX). I have been translating without problems and exported a couple of the files back to INX and InDesign without problems.

However, I just decided to install the latest Trados cumulative patch (7.5.0.759) and now I cannot import nor export the files I was working on. I get the following error:

80005: This file cannot be opened, as it contains on
... See more
Hi there!

I was using TagEditor 7.5.0.756 and I imported a bunch of InDesign CS2 files (previously exported as INX). I have been translating without problems and exported a couple of the files back to INX and InDesign without problems.

However, I just decided to install the latest Trados cumulative patch (7.5.0.759) and now I cannot import nor export the files I was working on. I get the following error:

80005: This file cannot be opened, as it contains one or more corrupt characters
Cause: error on line 938 of document. Carácter XML no permitido & # x13 ; Nested exception.
Possible workaround: open the file in an XML-enabled text editor and remove the invalid characters.

The error shows both during import of the INX files and export of the TTX files back into INX, so I'm stuck in TagEditor and cannot finish the project now.

Does anybody know why do I get a corrupt character error message now if it never showed up while using the previous TagEditor version? Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Had this problem, too... Mar 15, 2007

Do exactly as it tells you:

1. Back up your inx file (have two copies, just in case).
2. Open the offending inx file in a text editor which works with extended character sets (this is important!).
3. Find the line which was flagged as containing invalid characters.
4. Make note where the line should go after translation and remove it. Save it somewhere or just use the backup file for reference (Just make sure you do not change all your copies!).
5. I
... See more
Do exactly as it tells you:

1. Back up your inx file (have two copies, just in case).
2. Open the offending inx file in a text editor which works with extended character sets (this is important!).
3. Find the line which was flagged as containing invalid characters.
4. Make note where the line should go after translation and remove it. Save it somewhere or just use the backup file for reference (Just make sure you do not change all your copies!).
5. Import the file into TE, translate as usual and save as target.
6. Open the inx file again in a text editor and insert the missing line where it was before.

This procedure worked for my files, as the offending line contained only some interal InDesign options and its surroundings were untouched by TagEditor. Of course, if the wrong characters are in a line which should be translated, it is worse, but you can still translate it in the text editor.

Once again: make sure that you always have a copy of edited files.
Collapse

Victòria Peñafiel Ducròs
Victòria Peñafiel Ducròs
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jabberwock! Mar 16, 2007

The procedure is not very convenient, but as you say it works. In my case the invalid characters were also found inside InDesign internal parameters.

However I still don't get why the problem didn't arise with the previous TagEditor build... I wonder whether they have fixed something or ruined something with the update.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor error 80005: This file cannot be opened, as it contains one or more corrupt characters

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »