Translating .XLS files in SDL Trados 2006: is it possible to hide specific tags?
Thread poster: Francisco Paredes Maldonado

Francisco Paredes Maldonado  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2007

Hi everyone,

I work in videogame localisation and I frequently have to translate Excel format files in SDLX. Unfortunately, these files frequently represent line breaks within a cell as tags, such as "\n" or "".

Since SDLX does not cut off the segment when it comes across one of these, I end up getting pretty massive segments without a single line break, like this:

"\n\nYou must have the highest score to advance to the next stage.\n\nScorings:\n\n1st position - 1000\n2nd position - 800\n3rd position - 400\nKills - 300\n\nOpponents and obstacles will slow you down during the race.\n\nYour highscore is the addition of all the scores you achieve in a tournament."

This is pretty inconvenient to work with, as you can imagine, not to mention it renders the TM almost useless.

By toying with the segmentation rules I have managed to make SDLX cut off a segment every time it gets to a "\n" tag... but the tag itself still shows up in the ITD. It's better, but still not ideal, as the TM will still look pretty ugly.

My question is: is there any way to configure the Excel filter to ignore the "\n" tags completely, so that they do not show up in the ITD at all?

I have done a bit of research, but haven't had much luck so far. Maybe one of the SDLX experts in the house could shed some light on this issue? I would be eternally grateful for any advice.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Fran

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
.ini Mar 20, 2007

Is there any way to configure the Excel filter to ignore the "\n" tags completely?

If you find a way to redefine the /n tag as external, your problem is solved.
(I've only done so for the html line break tag in TagEditor; I don't use sdlx.)

Good luck!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating .XLS files in SDL Trados 2006: is it possible to hide specific tags?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search