Translating .XLS files in SDL Trados 2006: is it possible to hide specific tags?
Thread poster: Francisco Paredes Maldonado

Francisco Paredes Maldonado  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2007

Hi everyone,

I work in videogame localisation and I frequently have to translate Excel format files in SDLX. Unfortunately, these files frequently represent line breaks within a cell as tags, such as "\n" or "".

Since SDLX does not cut off the segment when it comes across one of these, I end up getting pretty massive segments without a single line break, like this:

"\n\nYou must have the highest score to advance to the next stage.\n\nScorings:\n\n1st positi
... See more
Hi everyone,

I work in videogame localisation and I frequently have to translate Excel format files in SDLX. Unfortunately, these files frequently represent line breaks within a cell as tags, such as "\n" or "".

Since SDLX does not cut off the segment when it comes across one of these, I end up getting pretty massive segments without a single line break, like this:

"\n\nYou must have the highest score to advance to the next stage.\n\nScorings:\n\n1st position - 1000\n2nd position - 800\n3rd position - 400\nKills - 300\n\nOpponents and obstacles will slow you down during the race.\n\nYour highscore is the addition of all the scores you achieve in a tournament."

This is pretty inconvenient to work with, as you can imagine, not to mention it renders the TM almost useless.

By toying with the segmentation rules I have managed to make SDLX cut off a segment every time it gets to a "\n" tag... but the tag itself still shows up in the ITD. It's better, but still not ideal, as the TM will still look pretty ugly.

My question is: is there any way to configure the Excel filter to ignore the "\n" tags completely, so that they do not show up in the ITD at all?

I have done a bit of research, but haven't had much luck so far. Maybe one of the SDLX experts in the house could shed some light on this issue? I would be eternally grateful for any advice.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Fran
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
.ini Mar 20, 2007

Is there any way to configure the Excel filter to ignore the "\n" tags completely?

If you find a way to redefine the /n tag as external, your problem is solved.
(I've only done so for the html line break tag in TagEditor; I don't use sdlx.)

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating .XLS files in SDL Trados 2006: is it possible to hide specific tags?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search