Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 22, 2007

Hello,

This may seem like a silly question to some, but how can I use the shortcut key combination for Trados (Set/Close Next Open/Get ). Regularly this can be performed using Alt + Num +). The problem is there is no (Num) key on my toshiba lappy! I am going crazy doing a continuous (Set/Close) and (Open/Get ) separately. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Noha

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is always a NUM-keypad on a notebook Mar 22, 2007

Regardless the possibility of using a plug-in for Windows for reassigning shortcuts you can use the built-in ability of any notebook.
Any notebook I know has a Fn key, used for special functions of certain keys. Locate a NUM-area on the keyboard of your notebook. You will notice numbers beside letters on keys in this area, where numbers are printed on the keys in a different colour, mostly corresponding with the colour of the Fn key.
As it is a Toshiba, you will have to press the Fn
... See more
Regardless the possibility of using a plug-in for Windows for reassigning shortcuts you can use the built-in ability of any notebook.
Any notebook I know has a Fn key, used for special functions of certain keys. Locate a NUM-area on the keyboard of your notebook. You will notice numbers beside letters on keys in this area, where numbers are printed on the keys in a different colour, mostly corresponding with the colour of the Fn key.
As it is a Toshiba, you will have to press the Fn key first and then holding it press the corresponding Trados shortcut. With some other notebooks (Acer or Sony for example) the order of pressing the keys does not matter, but with Toshiba you MUST first press Fn, then any other keys in order to get the Trados shortcut working.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is the way I work Mar 22, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As it is a Toshiba, you will have to press the Fn key first and then holding it press the corresponding Trados shortcut. With some other notebooks (Acer or Sony for example) the order of pressing the keys does not matter, but with Toshiba you MUST first press Fn, then any other keys in order to get the Trados shortcut working.

Regards
Jerzy

Jerzy's answer is excellent.

I work with an HP Compaq Presario 2500, and use de Fn key to activate the numeral keys.
Once you get used to it you won't realize you're holding one more key.

Good luck!

Andrés

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no Num key Mar 22, 2007

Thanks, guys for your contribution.

Well, I have to press (fn) + F11 to enable the alternative functions of keys. I located all alternative number keys and the + or - signs. But still no Num key!! Even if I did locate it, it would be such a hassle to have to simultaneously press Alt, Fn, F11, Num, + Does not exactly sound like a shortcut, does it?

I am more inclined to create a new shortcut key combinati
... See more
Thanks, guys for your contribution.

Well, I have to press (fn) + F11 to enable the alternative functions of keys. I located all alternative number keys and the + or - signs. But still no Num key!! Even if I did locate it, it would be such a hassle to have to simultaneously press Alt, Fn, F11, Num, + Does not exactly sound like a shortcut, does it?

I am more inclined to create a new shortcut key combination for that command. I am presently working in TagEditor. How can I create my own key combination here?

Thanks for everybody's help?
Collapse

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Mar 22, 2007

Guys,

Problem solved, and I don't even have to create anything. There is already an alternative key combination for the command (Set/Close Next Open/Get) which is Ctrl + Alt + N!

As simple as that.

Thanks for the inspiring ideas, though!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of Toshiba laptop do you have? Mar 22, 2007

This is vey unusual for me - I have had a Toshiba laptop, having a numeric area of keys. And also during my Trados trainings in Poland we have had several notebook types, all having a Fn key working in above described manner.

Nevertheless I'm glad you found at least this one shortcut alternative.

Jerzy

Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
A very good Solutionِ Mar 23, 2007

Noha Kamal wrote:

Guys,

Problem solved, and I don't even have to create anything. There is already an alternative key combination for the command (Set/Close Next Open/Get) which is Ctrl + Alt + N!

As simple as that.

Thanks for the inspiring ideas, though!

Hi Noha

I faced the same problem at my Dell Inspiron 2200 Notebook.
I post this problem from about a week .
Look at this thread http://www.proz.com/topic/68534
I think this will learn you how to make customization for your OWN SHORTCUTS.

BTW, there is a button named "Fn" which means Function, or i.e, another function for other keys.
You will find another letter keys have other functions, one of them is "+" where you can press (Alt + Fn + "+")
This is my exp. with this issue, but through the macros you will find at the link i provided above, you will be able to customize your own, user friendly shortcuts.

HTH
Good Luck
Regards,
Ehab

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shortcut key combination on laptop

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »