MultiTerm --> Where are attached TBs stored?
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 18:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2007

MultiTerm 7 (but applies to all MT, I think)

I have been saving my termbases on the D: drive to avoid losing them in the event of a system crash. Such an event occurred last week, and I have just completed a full reinstall (beginning with reformatting the C: drive) of my OS.

Today, I opened MT to restore my TBs with the "Attach Termbase" command. To my horror and dismay, all of the TBs that I had attached after the last system crash (over a year ago) had never been up
... See more
MultiTerm 7 (but applies to all MT, I think)

I have been saving my termbases on the D: drive to avoid losing them in the event of a system crash. Such an event occurred last week, and I have just completed a full reinstall (beginning with reformatting the C: drive) of my OS.

Today, I opened MT to restore my TBs with the "Attach Termbase" command. To my horror and dismay, all of the TBs that I had attached after the last system crash (over a year ago) had never been updated. In other words, I lost more than a year worth of work on certain TBs.
On the other hand, those TBs that I had created since my last reinstallation were just fine.

What I would like to know is how to prevent this in the future.

I am attaching all of my usable TBs, but I'd like to know what is happening to them and where they are being stored. Does MT create new TBs somewhere on C:? That would certainly account for my problems, but if so it is a feature I would definitely like to see eliminated--or at least I'd love to know a workaround.

It's bad enough that MT doesn't let you name the TB files when you create them, so you have no idea which is which unless you manually rename them or create separate folders for each individual TB, but if the files you create aren't even the ones being used that's just reprehensibly user-unfriendly.

I'm really looking forward to some answers.

Thank you.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:01
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
search for MTmaster keyword in fori... Apr 5, 2007

... and you will find stories, similar to yours, including the solutions and suggestions.

In short: there's a MTmaster.mdb somewhere under "all users" subdirectory with a rather simple structure and mission to connect MultiTerm to different dictionaries. Once you attach some database, it first gets copied over to the same "all users" place and gets updated there since then. Except if you take your destiny in your own hands and spend five minutes with the said MTmaster, correcting t
... See more
... and you will find stories, similar to yours, including the solutions and suggestions.

In short: there's a MTmaster.mdb somewhere under "all users" subdirectory with a rather simple structure and mission to connect MultiTerm to different dictionaries. Once you attach some database, it first gets copied over to the same "all users" place and gets updated there since then. Except if you take your destiny in your own hands and spend five minutes with the said MTmaster, correcting the names and places (for instance to "d:/my very own.mdb" - you can do that but you must do it yourself).

But I am just repeating something that's been often told.

Regards

>Vito
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm --> Where are attached TBs stored?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »