Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Trados Workbench 2007 too slow in Office 2007...
Thread poster: Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 13:05
English to Portuguese
Apr 5, 2007

I have downloaded and installed Trados 8 (Trados 2007) and tried it with Office 2007 Word. The tab for Trados is there in the "ribbon", etc., but it works perhaps 50% slower than Trados 2006 with Word 2003. Besides, the shortcut Close/Open/Get (Alt +) is not working. Anyone is experiencing that? Thanks, Edric

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:05
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Uhoh - early adoption victim #1? Apr 6, 2007

... but it works perhaps 50% slower than Trados 2006 with Word 2003...

I have not switched... See i) I have work to do (g) and ii) I'm staying with word 2003.

regards and keep us informed

smo

[EDIT] I'd say, early adoption viction #0 is TRADOS itself anyhow... I would assume, the bulk of 50% speed-down;) is due to Vista running on old hardware (or do you have a new, Vista-"compatible" hardware?)

[Edited at 2007-04-06 08:37]

Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same problem with Trados 2007 being too slow Apr 6, 2007

I have exactly the same problem. It takes about 10-12 seconds to close a TU and open the next. I'm running Office 2007 on a Windows Vista machine with Intel Core 2 CPU @ 1,87 GHz and 2 GB RAM.

I reorganised my TM to see if that would make any difference, but unfortunately it didn't. I also tried to export the TM and import it in a new TM created with Trados 2007, but that didn't work either.

At the moment I'm working on my laptop with the old Trados and Office 2003 configuration, because the opening and closing time of the TU is really unacceptable. It would be impossible to deliver my translation in time this way.

Best regards,
Carla

Edit: @Vito: due to a computer crash three weeks ago, my hardware is Vista Compatible. Early adoption is not always a matter of choice

[Edited at 2007-04-06 08:46]

[Edited at 2007-04-06 09:31]

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Early adoption is not bad, if you are prepared... Apr 6, 2007

That behavior is typical of non-optimized code: no crashes, but slow execution on a very fast system: Vista Ultimate 64-bit, CPU Core2Duo 6600, 4 GB SDRAM, SATA Barracudas...

The installation was OK and there were no conflicts or bugs. Trados 2007 installed perfectly on Word 2007, I put most used commands on Quick Acess Toolbar. The problem is speed, and I think a patch with optimized code will solve it soon.

Sinergy is crashing, unfortunately.

On the other hand, Tag Editor is running great, so is SDLX.

Early adoption is good (I paid $710 instead of $895), IF you are prepared for it. That's easily provided for in Windows Vista Ultimate. I have my XP, Trados 2006 and Office 2003 running perfectly in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, either inside a window or full screen. There I have Trados 2006, Office 2003, Logoport and all older things running perfectly well, so I can keep doing my work seamlessly.

C'mon, Trados guys, send in the Word 2007 patch and fix Sinergy! That XP and Word 2003 outdated look is becoming hard on the eyes!!!

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TagEditor plugins... Apr 6, 2007

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

On the other hand, Tag Editor is running great, so is SDLX.

Edric,

Can you use plugins (i.e. spellchecker) in TagEditor? I have problem with this...

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Spellchecking is fine... Apr 6, 2007

Yes, I have just checked it and it's working OK: Trados Wbench and TagEditor 2007 is communicating with Office 2007 Spellchecking engine. I know you've done that, but just in case: TagEditor menu item Tools, Plug-ins, mark Spelling Checkers and "Word Spelling Checker".

To avoid possible conflicts between old and new files, I kept the old versions (Trados 2006 and Office 2003) isolated in MS Virtual PC 2007. Never installed them on Vista.

I had such software interaction issues in the past. I could only solve them reinstalling Trados.

Cheers

Edric

[Edited at 2007-04-06 14:49]

France Mercier  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:05
English to French
+ ...
Not working! Apr 6, 2007

I installed Word 2007 yesterday with success, and I tried to install Trados 2007. But the installation failed. I always got a message error, and I cant even run Workbench or any other fonction as well.

It was an upgrade from Trados 2006 to 2007. Anyone can figure what I did wrong?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More detailed info, please Apr 6, 2007

Hi France,
As your problem is different from this topic, I would appreciate if you could post a new topic.

France Mercier wrote:

I installed Word 2007 yesterday with success, and I tried to install Trados 2007. But the installation failed. I always got a message error, and I cant even run Workbench or any other fonction as well.

It was an upgrade from Trados 2006 to 2007. Anyone can figure what I did wrong?

Please provide more details:
- What does the error message say exactly?
- Did you extract the downloaded file before installing?
- Did you deinstall the older version before installing SDL Trados 2007?

Best regards,
Ralf

France Mercier  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:05
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Apr 6, 2007

Sorry Ralf, I just opened a new post!

Tymoteusz Kuczyński
English to Polish
+ ...
Same performance issue Apr 6, 2007

I have exactly the same issue with Trados 2007/Word 2007 as the original poster on a rather powerful machine (Vista x64 on C2D E6700, 4GB RAM, Raptor X) . It takes forever to switch between segments, and [Alt]+[Num+] doesn't work (even if you manually assign the shortcut to the "tw4winSetCloseOpenGet.Impl" macro). The only workaround is to assign a different shortcut, but it's quite annoying as the force of habit makes me press the 'normal' key combination all the time...

I have logged the performance issue with SDL support, no response so far.

A partial workaround I've found is to run Word in XP SP2 compatibility mode. This reduces the delays slightly, but nowhere near 'normal' performance (TFL2006/W2003).

[Edited at 2007-04-06 19:47]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
much much slower... Apr 6, 2007

SDL trados 2007 + office package ( another fat stuff) running on xp sp2 is very slow, I can imagine it will be lot slower on a vista, means generally upgrade your computer again, memory, fast drive and other related components. I have not seen any error messages, things are working very slow. None of this stuff comes for free, who is paying for it? I think I shall set back to sdl trados 2006 or even the former 7.5 or 7.1 version, for me only the unicode support is interesting. Brandis

[Edited at 2007-04-06 18:47]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
can somebody sell me the upgrade Apr 6, 2007

... I have not seen any error messages, things are working very slow....

What are the functional selling points for TRADOS 2007? I am 100% for improvements in the product, but I would like to know what's new for users, if you factor out Vista.

smo

PS: I bought it, I downloaded the 2 installations and the code, but I prefer to lay low and watch. Please dont take it personal (g).

[Edited at 2007-04-06 19:59]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Microsoft KB article on optimising Office 2007 performance Apr 11, 2007

Hi all,
For those using Office 2007 under Windows XP, here's an article from the MS Knowledge Base, with some suggestions on how to enhance the performance of Office 2007:

support.microsoft.com/kb/918793/en-us

HTH, Ralf

Michiel Zijlstra  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Speed of Tag Editor Apr 13, 2007

I am reading you comments on Trados 2007 with great interest. What about using Trados 2007 on a Vista machine without Office 2007? e.g. translating using Workbench and Tag Editor. Is it also slow or does it work fine?

boeschm
German to Italian
+ ...
Problems with vista and office 2007 Apr 13, 2007

Hi,

I also have problems with Workbench 2007 and Word 2007.
Beside teh Porblems you already mentioned (also Set/Clos with Alt+ End is not working), I can't clean up the documents. There is a message saying Impossible to find Ingress Point.....with library Tradosbasis.dll (translation from italian messag).

Can anyone help me?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Workbench 2007 too slow in Office 2007...

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search