Thread poster: James Chan
James Chan
James Chan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:33
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 7, 2007

Hi,

I wonder if there is a quick way to migrate of termbase (es) from one computer to the other computer. As far as I know, exporting termbase of one comoputer and importing the exported files in another computer seems to be the only way to do this. This will take a lot time if I want to migrate quite a few termbases. I wonder if there is a quick way to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
From one PC to another... Apr 8, 2007

I assume you have the MultiTerm software loaded on the second PC, right?

Just copy the MultiTerm termbase .MTW and .LOK files, and paste them on the second PC.

That's all.

[Edited at 2007-04-08 18:27]

James Chan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
where can I find .LOK files Apr 8, 2007

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

I assume you have the MultiTerm software loaded on the second PC, right?

Just copy the MultiTerm termbase .MTW and .LOK files, and paste them on the second PC.

That's all.

[Edited at 2007-04-08 18:27]

Dear Tadzio,

Thanks for this great tip. Yes, I did install Multiterm in another PC, but where can I find the .LOK files in the first PC?

James Chan

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
On the same folder... Apr 9, 2007

.LOC files are always together with the .MTW files on the same folder where you have your MT termbases.

This is an example of one of my termbases:

"MULTI-TECNICO" (TRADOS MultiTerm Termbase)
"MULTI-TECNICO.LOK"

After these two may come a lot of other extension files with the same file name, but only the first two are important in order to migrate to other PC.

Let me know if you found them.

James Chan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.LOK file not Found Apr 9, 2007

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

.LOC files are always together with the .MTW files on the same folder where you have your MT termbases.

This is an example of one of my termbases:

"MULTI-TECNICO" (TRADOS MultiTerm Termbase)
"MULTI-TECNICO.LOK"

After these two may come a lot of other extension files with the same file name, but only the first two are important in order to migrate to other PC.

Let me know if you found them.

Strange enough, I simply could not such file with such an extension. I used MultiTerm 7 and created each termbase in a separate folder. I wonder if you used older version of MultiTerm.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
Yes, an older version... Apr 9, 2007

Yes, James; I have an older MT version.

Whatever, you can search for all files with the same name through your Windows function "Search". I'm sure you'll find them, and once you do, just copy them and paste them on the other PC.

This should work.

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 10:33
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
For MultiTerm 7.0 Apr 10, 2007

Hi James,
Tadzio is absolutely right, but for MultiTerm you need to copy the files with .mdb, .xdt, and .xml files (to be on the safe side) to the destination pc. You can then Load them into your new MultiTerm installation. Let us know how you get on!
Good luck
Owen

James Chan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Loading termbase Apr 11, 2007

Owen Davies wrote:

Hi James,
Tadzio is absolutely right, but for MultiTerm you need to copy the files with .mdb, .xdt, and .xml files (to be on the safe side) to the destination pc. You can then Load them into your new MultiTerm installation. Let us know how you get on!
Good luck
Owen

Hi, Owen,

I did copy all related termbase files to destination PC with same folder names. I know how to load external termbases, but I have so many termbases to load, so it will take me significant time to complete the job.

I just wonder if there is a quick way to let new MuliTerm installation accept the setting from the old PC and then have all termbases set up without importing or loading termbase.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:33
English to German
+ ...
Replicating the standard folder Apr 11, 2007

Hi James,

I just wonder if there is a quick way to let new MuliTerm installation accept the setting from the old PC and then have all termbases set up without importing or loading termbase.

There is, although at the expense of maintaining data on the same drive as programs.

I regularly move my termbases between desktop and laptop by synchronising the default folder used by MT (typically c - Documents and Settings - All Users - Application Data - TRADOS - MultiTerm - Termbases) on both machines. Works a charm.

Best regards,
Ralf

James Chan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful! It worked! Apr 11, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi James,

There is, although at the expense of maintaining data on the same drive as programs.

I regularly move my termbases between desktop and laptop by synchronising the default folder used by MT (typically c - Documents and Settings - All Users - Application Data - TRADOS - MultiTerm - Termbases) on both machines. Works a charm.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your great tip. It worked pretty good.

James Chan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Everything is fine, except... Apr 14, 2007

James Chan wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi James,

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your great tip. It worked pretty good.

Hi Ralf,

I tried your method and found out that everything seemed to work fine, except that the muliterm did not seem to work when I performed interactive translation session using Workbench. I selected the termbase in Workbench and enable to check term while translating.

When I translate each segment, Workbench would prompt me an error with a message saying there is a convertion error. I do not know what the exact English message because it was in Chinese.

I wonder if you ever experienced this before.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:33
English to German
+ ...
Never had that problem Apr 14, 2007

Hi again, James,

I wonder if you ever experienced this before.

Never had any problem with this.
Are you using exactly the same setup (same versions, same path) on both machines?

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quick Way to Migrate MultiTerm Termbase

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »