Thread poster: William Pairman
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:01
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Apr 9, 2007

Just that basically - no green or yellow boxes, just the {} symbol at the beginning of the sentence

Trados 7.5.0 Build 759 Office/Word XP

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:01
English to Indonesian
+ ...
use new tm Apr 9, 2007

i don't know how this can happen, but i usually managed to get around it by using or changing to new/different tm.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
You probably clicked "Undo" a few times too many... Apr 9, 2007

I'm no Trados expert, but this happened to me a couple of times before, when I'd clicked "Undo" a few times too many (so it takes you back to a stage in the middle of the segment opening/closing process. Try clicking "Undo" some more times until the cursor is somewhere at the end of the text to be edited and the symbol {} has disappeared.

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
Look in the archives Apr 9, 2007

The problem has been discussed here several times. The solution in the archive

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Trados is confused... Apr 9, 2007

...over something, for instance it could be a form feed character (new page), where a new line is expected.

The bracket indicates unfinished business - the program just gave up on the candidate segment. And dont ask me why (g).

You can edit the two characters away and play with the context - on one hand, who cares about it, in the worst case you can manually insert the target into the finished document. otoh it's a bother to have this kind of weirdos sticking out of
... See more
...over something, for instance it could be a form feed character (new page), where a new line is expected.

The bracket indicates unfinished business - the program just gave up on the candidate segment. And dont ask me why (g).

You can edit the two characters away and play with the context - on one hand, who cares about it, in the worst case you can manually insert the target into the finished document. otoh it's a bother to have this kind of weirdos sticking out of the text like a sore thumb...

[Edited at 2007-04-09 21:59]
Collapse

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 10:01
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Fix Document Apr 10, 2007

You could try the Fix Document function (Alt+Ctrl+U, I think), this usually tidies up the {}. You might lose the last segment you opened, but it was probably saved to the TM. You can also find it under your Trados functions on the tool bar. For some reason my Trados functions are all under "Acrobat Comments" in Word...but that's another matter!
Good luck.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search the forum for "curly brackets" Apr 10, 2007

Hi William,
I suggest to search this forum for the phrase "curly brackets".

Have you tried deactivating terminology recognition?
It may also help to check the document for hidden bookmarks.

Best regards,
Ralf

ozkan
ozkan
English
you must escape currly braces \{ Apr 10, 2007

Dear William,

Currly braces are internally used Trados "{" . You must escape currly braces. It must be \{, then it will work.

Ozkan

William Pairman wrote:

Just that basically - no green or yellow boxes, just the {} symbol at the beginning of the sentence

Trados 7.5.0 Build 759 Office/Word XP

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Apr 10, 2007

It turned out the document was protected - once I got rid of the protection, all was well

There does seem to be an isue with Kazpersky anti virus and trados, regarding suspicious macros, anybody found that?

Its a pain coz I find KAV excellent apart from that

Mark Daniels
Mark Daniels  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
Other solutions... Fiddle until it works! May 25, 2007

Really nasty little bug this, it seems to have any number of causes, and may well be a complicated combination of factors.

I got the error appearing shortly after Windows Update installed update KB927891 around 23.5.07. However, uninstalling this did not help, per se. Neither did "reorganising" the TM (is it my imagination or does this do absolutely nothing of any use?) Neither did deleting and replacing the .dot template files. Neither did reinstalling Trados entirely! Neither did
... See more
Really nasty little bug this, it seems to have any number of causes, and may well be a complicated combination of factors.

I got the error appearing shortly after Windows Update installed update KB927891 around 23.5.07. However, uninstalling this did not help, per se. Neither did "reorganising" the TM (is it my imagination or does this do absolutely nothing of any use?) Neither did deleting and replacing the .dot template files. Neither did reinstalling Trados entirely! Neither did disabling AVG (antivirus) temporarily!

It was only when I reopened Workbench and got a new Matrix error (hadn't been any thus far) and failed to load the TM that I selected my desired TM from the file menu and, HEY PRESTO, it started working again! Perhaps simply loading another TM and then reloading the proper one helps?!

Now who can possibly say which of the above measures actually helped?! My advice: try them all, in some order of your own choosing (at your own risk of course!)

Just one question, do Wordfast users have these problems? Just a thought...
Collapse

transturkish
transturkish  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
Curly brackets Jun 2, 2007

When the target segment contains hyperlinks such as www.blabla.com, it cannot proceed and creates curly brackets. When you invactivate the hyperlink by right clicking on the hyperlink, then it goes without a problem. This is my solution but it is my problem that some source text may contain tens of hyperlinks and it is impossible to remova all of them in one go. Is there any solutions to remove them all together? ... See more
When the target segment contains hyperlinks such as www.blabla.com, it cannot proceed and creates curly brackets. When you invactivate the hyperlink by right clicking on the hyperlink, then it goes without a problem. This is my solution but it is my problem that some source text may contain tens of hyperlinks and it is impossible to remova all of them in one go. Is there any solutions to remove them all together?

Thank you
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados not opening segments and symbol {} appearing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »