Hidden text in Excel worksheet?
Thread poster: Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:57
Swedish to English
Apr 19, 2007

I am trying to translate an Excel worksheet with TagEditor (2007) but the text that appears in TagEditor is totally different from the text in the worksheet.

According to the settings for the Excel document there should be no hidden text and I have no idea what is happening or how to correct the problem!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,
Ben

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 22:57
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Excel has a function to hide sheets Apr 20, 2007

I had this once. I translated an Excel file with supposedly 20 or so sheets (I can't remember the exact number now - but there were loads of them). However the customer (agency) could only see five sheets in the file. THe other 15 had been hidden (Format - Sheet - Hide (rough translation of my German Excel)). The upshot was that they only paid for the 5 sheets.

Take a look in your Excel file and see if there are any hidden sheets.

Also, you can hide individual columns or rows by dragging them closed (using the gray column and row tags).

HTH

Alison

Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:57
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 20, 2007

Hi Alison,

The settings in Excel were set to display all hidden text and I could not find any hidden worksheets....

In the end I gave up with using TagEditor and used SDLX instead which gave me both the 'hidden' and the visible text from the worksheet that I was attempting to translate.

I am still no wiser to what was happening and could not find any help on the SDL site, the Trados user group or the Excel help files!

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hidden text in Excel worksheet?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search