Problem with analyzing XML files using Trados
Thread poster: Tobi
Tobi
Local time: 01:47
English to German
+ ...
May 1, 2007

I have a lot of XML files to translate and have problems analyzing it. I have the correct tag settings file and it's no problem to open the files in Tag Editor. However, if I want to analyze the files, TW gets stucked with large XML files (with embedded images) or delivers extremely high word counts (because of the embedded images, which are not identified as images). It seems that the tag settings are not considered for analysis.
Does anybody know the solution for this?
Thanks in advance,
Tobi

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation memory options May 1, 2007

Hi Tobi,

Did you load the DTD Settings file (.ini) that you used to open the file in TagEditor.
If you didn´t go to Analyse, Options, Translation memory options, and click the DTD Setting button, there you can choose the ini file. After doing this you will be able to analyse the files.
Hope it helps
Marina

Tobi
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This didn't help May 1, 2007

Hi Marina,

Thanks for your reply. The DTD settings file is in the list and I've even set it as standard, but I cannot do more than highlighting the file in the list and exit the Tag Settings screen with OK. This didn't help. Is there any other option I have to use, maybe a checkbox? I don't know.

Best regards,

Tobi

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which DTD/.ini file? May 2, 2007

Hi Tobi,

The DTD settings file is in the list and I've even set it as standard,

Does this refer to the default DTD provided, or did you add a specific .ini file for the XML files at hand? The very point of using XML is the ability to customise the file and tag structure, so using default DTDs will almost invariably go wrong.

Unfortunately, you did not indicated with version of TagEditor you're using - newer versions (7.x or higher, IIRC) have a wizard to create .ini files.

Best regards,
Ralf

Tobi
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The DTD file is OK May 2, 2007

Hi Ralf,

I used a specific DTD settings file for the software used to create the XML files. This works great with TagEditor (7.5), but not with the Analyze function of TW. If I open a XML file in TagEditor, a window opens to select the tag settings file.

Thanks,

Tobias

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Images in XML? May 2, 2007

Tobi wrote:

...XML files (with embedded images) ...
Tobi

I wonder how images are rendered in XML files. AFAIK they should be put in CDATA sections and Trados should ignore them.

If your client uses a proprietary XML-like solution maybe you should put comment marks around these images manually in a text editor like Ultraedit . Trados/TagEditor ignores comments in XML/HTML files by default.

HTH

Piotr

Tobi
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Image problem only solved in TagEditor May 2, 2007

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

I wonder how images are rendered in XML files. AFAIK they should be put in CDATA sections and Trados should ignore them.

If your client uses a proprietary XML-like solution maybe you should put comment marks around these images manually in a text editor like Ultraedit . Trados/TagEditor ignores comments in XML/HTML files by default.

HTH

Piotr

The image problem has been solved with the correct tag settings file. Before I wasn't able to open a 9 Megabyte file containing only a few words of text in TagEditor. By the way the software used to create the XML file is Help & Manual 4.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with analyzing XML files using Trados

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search