Thread poster: Rebeca Larios
Rebeca Larios
Rebeca Larios  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
May 2, 2007

I have a problem with tag editor. I just bought Trados 2007. I was working on a PowerPoint presentation, I opened it in Tag Editor, and when I tried to save the target text the application gave me this message

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: ... de programa/SDL International/T2007_FL/TT/TagEditor.exe

abnormal program termination

and then it turned off. I tried looking for a fix for this bug, but there a
... See more
I have a problem with tag editor. I just bought Trados 2007. I was working on a PowerPoint presentation, I opened it in Tag Editor, and when I tried to save the target text the application gave me this message

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: ... de programa/SDL International/T2007_FL/TT/TagEditor.exe

abnormal program termination

and then it turned off. I tried looking for a fix for this bug, but there are no info about this. Has anyone had something like this going on?

Help!!!
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Try SDLX May 3, 2007

I have no fix for this but it the job is urgent please export your TM from Workbench to TMX or Trados txt, import it into and SDLX TM using SDL Maintain, and convert the PPT into SDLX format for translation. Choose Trados Tageditor segmentation rules to get the best leverage from your existing translation.

Hope this helps.

Piotr

Sabine Ide
Sabine Ide  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
Same problem May 4, 2007

Hi Rebeca,

I have exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution meanwhile? I am in contact with SDL support and will keep you informed as soon as I got the problem solved....

Saludos! Sabine

Aleksandra Kovalenko
Aleksandra Kovalenko
Italy
English to Russian
+ ...
Same problem May 4, 2007

Hi

I have the same problem too! I cant get the translated text out! I've tried all sorts. I've made a new project and re-translated it but there was still the same problem. When I try to convert the translated ttx file to its original format (ppt) I get an original sourse file as a result although in the file "summary" it shows that the file is 100% translated... Yesterday I did the same thing with another ppt file and I didnt have any problems! what do I do now?
I would've t
... See more
Hi

I have the same problem too! I cant get the translated text out! I've tried all sorts. I've made a new project and re-translated it but there was still the same problem. When I try to convert the translated ttx file to its original format (ppt) I get an original sourse file as a result although in the file "summary" it shows that the file is 100% translated... Yesterday I did the same thing with another ppt file and I didnt have any problems! what do I do now?
I would've tried the solution of Piotr but for whatever reason my computer doesnt see SDLX....
The translation is urgent and I really dont have the time (and desire!!!) to translate it in the traditional way....
Please HELP!

By the way, it gives the same Runtime error even when I try to Preview the target version....((((((

[Edited at 2007-05-04 16:04]

I've just finished translation of another ppt file and I didnt have any problems in saving target version!
Then it means the problem was just with that particular file. What did we do wrong?
Is there any way to take the translated text out?

[Edited at 2007-05-04 21:32]
Collapse

Sabine Ide
Sabine Ide  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
Signs outside the tags May 6, 2007

Hi all!

I sent my text to SDL support as it was very urgent and they told me, I put signs outside the tags and that is why I could not get the target version and why even the QA-Checker crashed.....
So, if you find a way to check this.....

Good luck! Sabine

Aleksandra Kovalenko
Aleksandra Kovalenko
Italy
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you May 14, 2007

Thank you, Sabine!

Next time I'll be very careful with my tags!

Rebeca Larios
Puerto Rico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jun 29, 2007

I kept having the same problem over and over again... until I downloaded and installed the last version for trados instaler that was just released... it works like a charm, I think they fixed many bugs that were present in the original one.

Brian Jones (X)
Brian Jones (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:21
French to English
Try OpenOffice Impress instead Jul 11, 2007

TIP: Use OpenOffice instead of PowerPoint and save the resulting OpenOffice file as a PPT.

I've been experiencing this problem quite a bit in the past few weeks (TagEditor 8/PowerPoint 2003). I tried re-installing Trados and even upgraded to Office 2007, but I received the same error.

I finally found the answer: open the PowerPoint presentation in OpenOffice (free at www.openoffice.org
... See more
TIP: Use OpenOffice instead of PowerPoint and save the resulting OpenOffice file as a PPT.

I've been experiencing this problem quite a bit in the past few weeks (TagEditor 8/PowerPoint 2003). I tried re-installing Trados and even upgraded to Office 2007, but I received the same error.

I finally found the answer: open the PowerPoint presentation in OpenOffice (free at www.openoffice.org), save it as an OpenOffice file (odp), and run that file through the TagEditor. It looks like there are many more tags, but this isn't truly the case.

If you have already translated the PowerPoint file in TagEditor before realizing that it is stuck in TagEditor, some of the TM entries will be slightly different when you run the OpenOffice file because of the tags. As such, it will take a little time to re-run the OpenOffice file through TagEditor. There will be quite a few fuzzy matches.

Once you're finished translating, save the Target as an OpenOffice file (odf), open that file in OpenOffice, and save it as a PPT. I haven't experienced this Runtime Error ever since I switched to this method.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have a feeling that the problem lies in the way bulleted lists are handled in PowerPoint. They appear to be tagged differently in OpenOffice.
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
'A' solution if not 'the' solution Jul 13, 2007

Hello everyone,

I had the same problem with PowerPoint for a few docs and an extremely helpful person at Trados Support explained why I was having this problem (although it may not be true for everyone).

The problem was caused by break (BR) tags followed by a white space at the end of a segment. Basically, if there are any BR tags in the segment, they must NOT be followed by a white space.

You can see the white spaces when you activate the function Show/Hid
... See more
Hello everyone,

I had the same problem with PowerPoint for a few docs and an extremely helpful person at Trados Support explained why I was having this problem (although it may not be true for everyone).

The problem was caused by break (BR) tags followed by a white space at the end of a segment. Basically, if there are any BR tags in the segment, they must NOT be followed by a white space.

You can see the white spaces when you activate the function Show/Hide Whitespaces (next to the zoom).

When you know what you're looking for, it can be quick to find where the problem is and solve it. I now translate in TagEditor with Show/Hide Whitespace permanently activated and check the document as I progress. These spaces apparently have no impact on the source segements (I've noticed some present, which is sometimes why they slip in when copying source text into the target segment), but play havoc with the target text, causing TagEditor to shut down when Saving Target As... or making it impossible to clean up (2147418113 - unexpected error using plug-in file filter).

Quote: "This problem is well known in the development team and they are working on solving this problem."

I hope this helps someone, somewhere!

Kate
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:21
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! Aug 2, 2007

Thank you, Katherine,

That solved a pesky problem I've been struggling with for a few days.

A single extra white space after a br tag in a 7000+ word file was messing things up.

Thanks again for sharing.

Nora

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
Doesn't work for me Sep 13, 2007

Hello there,

I have the exact problem described by Katherine, with the two different errors whether I try to clean the TTX from Workbench ("(-2147418113): Unexpected error using plug-in file filter") or try to save it as PPT from Tageditor ("Runtime error!").

But unfortunately I cannot find any instance of the "br" (or "sr" for that matter) tag followed by a blank space.

*Sigh*

Jacques

[Edited at 2007-09-13 20:54]

Rebeca Larios
Puerto Rico
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
did you... Sep 13, 2007

download the latest version of the trados installer?

I got it, installed it, and all my problems were gone!

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
My build is quite new Sep 13, 2007

Hi Rebeca,

I had seen your suggestion, but since I downloaded my version of the installer after you initially posted the suggestion, I assumed that it would probably not be useful.

Help > About in Workbench shows version 8.0.0.822 (build 822). Do you have a more recent build?

Thanks!

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Glad to help Sep 14, 2007

Glad that helped, Nora - I know it drove me up the wall.

It's a shame it doesn't appear to do the trick for you, Jacques. How long is the doc? I don't mind having a quick look myself if you like? Contact me directly if you'd like to send it.

K

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
For the record Sep 14, 2007

I asked the question to SDL yesterday evening, but I haven't yet received any answer, except for the automated one that reminds you of the various support plans, how fast you receive an answer if you have bought the most expensive ones, and on what page you can still buy them.

Katherine, whose kindness is only matched by her skill, managed to solve the problem through the following process: she created a TM from the TTX, one segment after the other, removing along the way a few unne
... See more
I asked the question to SDL yesterday evening, but I haven't yet received any answer, except for the automated one that reminds you of the various support plans, how fast you receive an answer if you have bought the most expensive ones, and on what page you can still buy them.

Katherine, whose kindness is only matched by her skill, managed to solve the problem through the following process: she created a TM from the TTX, one segment after the other, removing along the way a few unnecessary blank spaces (none of them precisely fitting the original description, though, unless I am mistaken), then recreated the TTX from the original PPT, and used the newly created TM to retranslate the TTX, which this time could be cleaned up.

Was the problem linked to the few blank spaces she removed? Maybe, though she told me about them, and after correcting them in my copy of the TTX, clean-up was still not possible on my side. So it is still a bit of a mystery to me, though I could deliver the clean file to my client.

"À quelque chose malheur est bon": I got to know Katherine

Thank you!

Jacques
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with PowerPoint and tag editor 8

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »