https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/72114-sdlx%3A_how_do_i_get_rid_of_format_box_under_mouse.html

SDLX: how do I get rid of format-box under mouse
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 4, 2007

Always when I put the mouse on the target text a box shows the formatting of the text. I find it very irritating. How can I switch it off?
Also I'd like to know how I can remove the whole target segment with one shortcut.
Regards
Heinrich

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:03
Member (2004)
Format problem May 4, 2007

Hi Heinrich,

I am just beginning with SDLX myself (have used Trados for four years, but am absolutely fed up with all the problems I've had with Trados since upgrading), so sorry if this is obvious and not the issue at all, but have you reclicked on the 'paintbrush' icon at the top (or Ctrl 9/Alt P, F) to stop formatting and return to edit mode?

As for deleting the entire target text, I'll let you know if I find out how to do that...

Kindest,

K
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

I am just beginning with SDLX myself (have used Trados for four years, but am absolutely fed up with all the problems I've had with Trados since upgrading), so sorry if this is obvious and not the issue at all, but have you reclicked on the 'paintbrush' icon at the top (or Ctrl 9/Alt P, F) to stop formatting and return to edit mode?

As for deleting the entire target text, I'll let you know if I find out how to do that...

Kindest,

Kate
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Its not format paint May 4, 2007

This stupid box appears also when the cursor is on the source. Always when the mouse-cursor is kept a second or so on one point.

Katie01
Katie01  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
One way of deleting target segment ... May 4, 2007

Hi Heinrich

The best way I have found of deleting the target segment is to select the segment by clicking the box to the left of the segment (the box with the segment number in), then just pressing delete. Of course you could also start typing your translation and this will overwrite anything which is there.

Can't see anything in "tools - options" about the format being displayed when you have the cursor on the text. Will let you know if I find anything.

... See more
Hi Heinrich

The best way I have found of deleting the target segment is to select the segment by clicking the box to the left of the segment (the box with the segment number in), then just pressing delete. Of course you could also start typing your translation and this will overwrite anything which is there.

Can't see anything in "tools - options" about the format being displayed when you have the cursor on the text. Will let you know if I find anything.

I also tried searching the sdl help website, but couldn't find anything there either.

Hope that helps a bit!

Kathryn
Collapse

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
No, you're right May 4, 2007

You're right, it's not that - the box appears under my mouse as well, even when in edit mode.

Will follow this thread!

K

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Deleting the target segment May 4, 2007

Hi Heinrich,
Pardon me if I understand wrong, but what you would like to have is an empty target segment where you could directly type your translation, right? There are 2 ways to do that.

The first is to happen BEFORE you start translating anything in the file. Provided no TM has been applied to the file, you can simply select the menu Translation memory, then click on Apply. When the Apply TM window appears, uncheck the box which says something like "copy source text where n
... See more
Hi Heinrich,
Pardon me if I understand wrong, but what you would like to have is an empty target segment where you could directly type your translation, right? There are 2 ways to do that.

The first is to happen BEFORE you start translating anything in the file. Provided no TM has been applied to the file, you can simply select the menu Translation memory, then click on Apply. When the Apply TM window appears, uncheck the box which says something like "copy source text where no translation exists". Since you are applying no TM (or what the program interprets as an empty TM), the target segments will automatically be emptied at the end of the operation.
If you are using a real TM: simply follow the same process after opening it.

By default, SDLX fills in the target segments with the source text whenever it does not find leverage in the TM. Hope it answers your (first) question!

Regards
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX: how do I get rid of format-box under mouse

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »