Embedded tags in Trados - what to do?
Thread poster: Rose Oakes

Rose Oakes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 6, 2007

Hello all,

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. I have been sent a short test translation and am using Trados 7.0 on it.

Most of the segments have just one tag at the beginning and one at the end.

However, there are a couple of segments that also have tags "embedded" within the segment. I translated the text inside these tags using the "tag protection on/off" function, but after saving the work and re-opening it, this text does not appear in the target segment.

I then tried to do it in Tag Editor, but this was worse as the text between the "embedded" tags did not even appear in the source segment.

What am I doing wrong? or am I attempting an impossible task with the normal Trados workbench? I am a Trados beginner, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SDL Trados Support May 6, 2007

Hello Rose,
Please note that I have moved this topic to SDL Trados Support forum.

Monika

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Read the section about inserting TAGs in the manual May 6, 2007

Use the tutorial provided with your Trados copy.
Look in the help file for "inserting TAGs".

Generaly speaking, TAGs must appear in the target sentence in the same order and complete.

For example, if your source sentence is:
<paragraph>This is a <b>red</b> car.<br>
your translation mus read:
<paragraph>Das ist ein <b>rotes</b> Auto.<br>.

If there is no translation in your Translation Memory, the easiest way to assure TAGs being placed correctly is to copy source segment (ALT+INS). If there is already a translation, use the commands "Insert placeable" (ALT+ARROW LEFT/DOWN/RIGHT).

As you say you are a Trados beginner, be very careful when switching TAG protection off and on.

Regards
Jerzy

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Take a look at the tutorials May 6, 2007

Rose Oakes wrote:

Hello all,

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. I have been sent a short test translation and am using Trados 7.0 on it.

Most of the segments have just one tag at the beginning and one at the end.

However, there are a couple of segments that also have tags "embedded" within the segment. I translated the text inside these tags using the "tag protection on/off" function, but after saving the work and re-opening it, this text does not appear in the target segment.

Hi Rose,

These sound like footnotes.
>
Footnotes are not treated as single segments in word. Instead,as soon as you place a footnote as a subsegment in the target field using [Alt ] ++the subsegment number, Translator's Workbench opens a temporary document TW4Win Footnote.doc You translate the footnote in this document
using the full Workbench functionality. After confirming the last segment in the footnote, you return to the main segment in your document and continue translating as usual.
>

See p.176 of the FileFormatsRef_en.pdf document in your Trados installation directory.

I then tried to do it in Tag Editor, but this was worse as the text between the "embedded" tags did not even appear in the source segment.

Don't worry. It will be there all right.

What am I doing wrong? or am I attempting an impossible task with the normal Trados workbench? I am a Trados beginner, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would strongly recommend that take a look at the self-running tutorials (especially New to SDL Trados) in the Tutorials folder of your SDL Trados icon group and refer to the PDF manuals in the installation directory:

SDL International\T2006_FL\Doc\English.

HTH

Giles

[Edited at 2007-05-06 17:35]

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 7, 2007

Thank you for the quick replies.

I don't think they are footnotes, as they appear within the main segments and I don't get that temporary footnote document that Giles mentioned. I did try to copy the source segment, it did do this, but when I tried to type over the text between the embedded tags, the background went grey and anything I typed would not save.
Anyway, I will check the tutorials again.
Thanks again!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It looks you have written in the TAG itself May 8, 2007

because the formatting of TAG is grey...
You need to learn how do you can format text in Word and how do you overwrite text between TAGs.
The easiest way would be to select a word, which is behind a TAG, and then start writing. If you have already wrtitten something and it is grey, change the formatting of it (ie remove the style tw4winExternal from the particular text).

Jerzy

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apparently they are index markers... May 9, 2007

I asked the agency for advice, they said that XE is the code for index markers. I have looked on the forums for threads on how to deal with these and in the Trados guide but found no solutions.

In the end I found a way to type over the tag content without it going grey and without using the "tag protection on/off" button or touching the tag markers, which saved my translation. The problem is that the agency says that what I have done is not right (I have checked that the tags are symmetrical: {1>{XE text }

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded tags in Trados - what to do?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search