https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/72628-spaces_being_added_and_crashing_75_with_excel_file.html

spaces being added and crashing 7.5 with excel file
Thread poster: Anthony Green
Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:09
Italian to English
+ ...
May 10, 2007

This is the first time in 10 years of using Trados (now on version 7.5) that I have succumbed to translating an Excel file directly through TagEditor.
Unfortunately, each time a TU is used, considerable numbers of spaces appear to be added, so that "abdominal circumference" has now become "abdominal" followed by around 50 spaces and then "circumference". If I try to edit the TU, Workbench crashes. TagEditor arrives at a TU with spaces and says "Translating to fuzzy... Click into the Transl
... See more
This is the first time in 10 years of using Trados (now on version 7.5) that I have succumbed to translating an Excel file directly through TagEditor.
Unfortunately, each time a TU is used, considerable numbers of spaces appear to be added, so that "abdominal circumference" has now become "abdominal" followed by around 50 spaces and then "circumference". If I try to edit the TU, Workbench crashes. TagEditor arrives at a TU with spaces and says "Translating to fuzzy... Click into the Translator's Workbench window to cancel. Chrs:8 Pos: 1" If chrs is supposed to be the number of characters in the TU, it does not even seem to be getting to the end of the first word in the source (which is "circonferenza addominale")

I have tried exporting all the TUs and reimporting by overwriting and then reorganising, but the problem has been going on for hours and the deadline is fast approaching...

Any ideas?

(By the way, I have recently recently a Chinese Skype "attack" and shut down the pc to find that a Chinese application had to be forcibly closed, but I can't find any trace of it now I have rebooted. Could there be any connection or is this a known error?)
Collapse

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:09
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
found answer May 10, 2007

in the meantime I was able to find this answer :

See more
in the meantime I was able to find this answer :

http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2054&p_created=1163196383&p_sid=FSClocBi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTk2JnBfcHJvZHM9MTgmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0xLjE4JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2NmX0xhbmd1YWdlPSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PUV4Y2VsIHRhZ2VkaXRvcg**&p_li=&p_topview=1

and the first workaround seems to be working fine. I shall now try out the second

==================================
This is a known bug in Trados 7.x.
Until it is permanently resolved in future releases of SDL Trados, please use one of the following workarounds.

This effect occurs only when text in Excel document is written in one of the non-TrueType fonts, such as MS Sans Serif, Helvetica and others.
1. Replace the font throughout the document with a TrueType font, such as Arial.
2. Replace file Excel_2_0_0_0.xml in SDL Trados installation folder (for Trados 7.5 it is C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2006\TT) with attached modified version. It internally interprets all fonts as Arial.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spaces being added and crashing 7.5 with excel file

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »