how to unhide text after translating
Thread poster: Maria Ramos
Maria Ramos
Portugal
Local time: 03:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 10, 2007

I've just finished a translation using Trados, and I'd like to keep the source language next to the target language (not as hidden text!), in a word document. Can you help me?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxalbank78
Local time: 04:50
English to Albanian
how to unhide text after translating May 10, 2007

Tools > Options > View > check Hidden Text checkbox.

Regards

Maria Ramos
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how to keep the source text NOT as hidden text May 10, 2007

Thanks, but if I do that I'll still have the source text as "hidden text". I need to keep the source text and the target text in the final version of the document, without any hidden text...

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Format Painter May 10, 2007

Put the cursor on a translated bit, click on the "Format Painter" icon (little paintbrush), and mark the whole of the document.
Note that Trados markups will also appear as normal text. If you need to remove them, you can do replacing using wild cards.
At any rate, make a backup before making this modification, as you will not be able to clean up the text afterwards.
HTH
Attila

[Módosítva: 2007-05-10 10:51]

Carlos Libenson
Brazil
Local time: 00:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hide - Show hidden text May 10, 2007

mramos wrote:

I've just finished a translation using Trados, and I'd like to keep the source language next to the target language (not as hidden text!), in a word document. Can you help me?

You can create a macro in Word to Hide/Show the source whenever you run that Macro.
I do it all the time, in case you want it, I can send you the code.
Get in touch einseele@gmail.com

Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:50
English to Russian
+ ...
Find/Replace May 10, 2007

Looks the right medicine here.

Just type nothing in the find what and replace to boxes. Press the More... button instead to unveil the Format button. Use it to select font formatting and replace all the hidden text with e.g. red colored, another font etc. You may also want to delete the Trados marks beforehand - it's being done the same way - they are using Courier New font and tw4winMark style.

To make it easier in future you can even use different colors for the source / target segments choosing Options -> Translated text colors in the Workbench.

Moreover, reading on sophisticated Find/Replace in Word (using the small subset of regular expressions it offers) can produce extremely useful results in terms of making life easier.

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:50
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
One more solution May 10, 2007

I would add one more to those stated above.

When you have checked hidden text in Tools > Options, so that you can see all the text, just select all (Ctrl+A), open the Font dialog box (Ctrl+D) and uncheck the "Hidden" attribute.

Maria Ramos
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 10, 2007

Thanks a lot to everyone! I tried Attila's solution (it seemed the easiest) and it worked And now I know there are several ways of solving the problem...
Have a nice weekend!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to unhide text after translating

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search