Why does the font go back to Times New Roman everytime that a TU is opened?
Thread poster: Iván Madrigal

Iván Madrigal  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
May 10, 2007

Hi guys,

Hope you can enlighten me here, nothing important, but very annoying:

When I prepare my normal translations in Word 2003, the first thing I do is to change the View to Normal, change the font of the whole document to Arial and enlarge the width of the text, so I get a clearer view of what I´m translating. Then, this used to work fine but lately every time I Open/Close TU, the font goes back to Times New Roman for some reason...
Has anyone had this behaviour? Ideas on how to avoid it? It´s distracting me, big time.
Thanks in advance, people!

Iván

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:30
English to French
+ ...
Installed fonts May 10, 2007

This has happened to me many times. It seems that if the font of your source document is not installed in your system, then Word defaults the target font to Times New Roman.

The solution is obviously to install the target font on your system before starting the translation. The easier solution, if you use Trados, is to translate the document in TagEditor, since TagEditor will take care of pretty much all formatting by itself.

If you wish to install additional fonts on your system (very useful in the long-term), just google "fonts" or "font packs" and you will find plentty of font packs that tyou can dwnload free. If your document uses a popular, standard font, this will fix the issue. However, if the font your client used is a fancier one, you may want to ask them to supply the font for you to install (very seldom, the font you need is proprietary and not available free).

I hope this helps!

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Redefine the Normal style May 10, 2007

Hi Iván,

As Jerzy Czopik never tires of repeating, Word is a style-driven program. You are merely changing the font.

This article explains what is happening:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/FormatOfTextChanges.html

What you need to do is select the whole text and redefine the Normal style to whatever you prefer. Here's how:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ModifyAStyle.html

If you want to be extra-sure, you can select the whole text and Edit\Paste Special it as unformatted text into a new document with your preferred Normal style.

HTH

Giles

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Go for Tageditor and forget abou all formatting problems May 10, 2007

Otherwise follow Giles advice - working with styles is worth learning.
Thx, Giles

Best
Jerzy

Iván Madrigal  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Makes sense May 10, 2007

Thanks Viktoria, Giles and Jerzy, it makes perfect sense, you are all right.

I´ve played a bit with the style and reset it to Arial, it seems to work now.
On the other hand, an updated font pack is not a bad idea either, thanks Viktoria.

Cheers, people!

I

DC Josephs
German to English
Yes but... Sep 7, 2007

I continue to have this problem even after I change the styles.

Styles defined as Arial often change to Times when I open a TU; a unit formated with a style using a font called "Arial Black" just now came up in small caps and italics. This behavior persisted even after I changed the font setting in the style dialog. (I reformatted the graf as Normal (or "Standard" as it's called in German Word), and got the normal reversion to TNR.

I am using Office 2003 (German) + SDL Trados 6.5.

I take the point about using TagEditor, but I don't want to give up all the stuff I have in Word's AutoText.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

And now I'm working on a text in which the font is defined in the style as TNR but the text was hand-formatted Arial, and the TU is opening in Arial. Just sign me

- Dazed & Confused

[Edited at 2007-09-07 13:42]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados 6.5 is too old Sep 7, 2007

and it had its problems with styles.
Newer versions are better there, but nevertheless, if you use the style function properly, this should work.
There are so many informations stored in the style, which may influence the behaviour. Beside the font the most important one is the language. If you have any Asian language in the styles, it will NOT work and font changes will occur, regardles what you do.

There is a Webinar planned on this topic by SDL, when I know when I'll post here.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does the font go back to Times New Roman everytime that a TU is opened?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search