SDL Trados 2007 Could not contact activation server (Error code 50018)
Thread poster: gwm
gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:48
Member (2005)
May 10, 2007

I have just spent several hours (again - I already tried a few days ago) trying to get SDL Trados 2007 working - installing and de-installing several times and it still refuses to be activated.

And yes, I have browsed the forums and http://sdl.custhelp.com and have tried the various solutions on offer. I have also downloaded the patch 'vcredist_x86-sp1.exe' which is supposed to fix something. But i
... See more
I have just spent several hours (again - I already tried a few days ago) trying to get SDL Trados 2007 working - installing and de-installing several times and it still refuses to be activated.

And yes, I have browsed the forums and http://sdl.custhelp.com and have tried the various solutions on offer. I have also downloaded the patch 'vcredist_x86-sp1.exe' which is supposed to fix something. But it won't fix that I can't get the thing activated.

SDL suggests, among others, to add a port in the firewall settings 'licensing.sdl.com', but that doesn't work either. I even deactivated AVAST for a short time to see if that works. I still have an error message coming up: ''Could not contact activation server (Error code 50018)'' and that's it. Can't get past this one.

I have broadband, am online and SDLX is working, just Trados won't. It keeps going into demo mode because I can't activate it.

I have SDL Trados 2006 on my laptop, but that's not really the idea of an upgrade...

Can somebody guide me in the right direction, please, please? Any help is really appreciated!

Many thanks, Gisela

For example: the fix at http://deu.proz.com/topic/70112?start=15&float=
'Check if you have registry entries corresponding to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers?'
which is also recommended by SDL Trados didn't work, as I don't have the 'AppCompatFlags\Layers'. But I don't think it is really meant to fix activation issues

PPS: I also tried the Trados Yahoo Group - but I can't get in there, it keeps telling me: We're Sorry...We are unable to complete your request at this time. We are aware of this problem and are working on a resolution. (code -9997)

[Edited at 2007-05-10 19:58]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:48
Italian to English
In memoriam
What OS do you have? May 10, 2007

Hi Gisela,

What OS are you trying to install SDL Trados 2007 on?

I have had no issues with build 820 on Windows XP but that's probably just luck. If I had experienced installation problems, I would have tried installing build 822 (See Answer ID 2132 in the SDL Knowledge Base).

HTH

Giles

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados 2007 Could not contact activation server (Error code 50018) May 10, 2007

Hi Giles,

I work with Windows XP Professional. Thank you for your answer. I saw Answer ID 2132 but didn't really understand what it was relating to. I'll give it a go and see if it makes any difference. But maybe tomorrow morning, when my mind is fresh again. Right now it is frazzled...

Thanks again!

gisela

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It would not hurt at all ... May 11, 2007

to get 822. In my case the change from 820 to 822 got TagEditor working... So maybe...

Regards

Vito@ XP SP2

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
There's a flash presentation to help you May 11, 2007

Gisela Murdter wrote:

Hi Giles,

But maybe tomorrow morning, when my mind is fresh again. Right now it is frazzled...

Thanks again!

gisela

Hello again Gisela,

Your SDL download account should now have zipped Flash presentation (Installation_Patch_2007.zip) that walks you through how to return your licence for Workbench build 820 and generate a new one for build 822.

Good luck!

Giles

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
Downloading Fix May 11, 2007

Many thanks Giles and Vito - will try this as soon as my broadband is working again. Yes, that has now decided to pack in as well and I don't want to download the package via dial-up. An island without any technology suddenly seems a very attractive place to be...

Gisela

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
Installation_Patch_2007.zip May 11, 2007

Hi Giles,

broadband is working again. I hate it when my ISP does this to me!

Anyhow: you write (sorry, haven't quite worked out how I can do quotes in my reply - even in reply with quote I just get a white window) that

'Your SDL download account should now have zipped Flash presentation (Installation_Patch_2007.zip) that walks you through how to return your licence for Workbench build 820 and generate a new one for build 822.'

Unfortunately I d
... See more
Hi Giles,

broadband is working again. I hate it when my ISP does this to me!

Anyhow: you write (sorry, haven't quite worked out how I can do quotes in my reply - even in reply with quote I just get a white window) that

'Your SDL download account should now have zipped Flash presentation (Installation_Patch_2007.zip) that walks you through how to return your licence for Workbench build 820 and generate a new one for build 822.'

Unfortunately I don't have this. I only have:
SDL Trados 2007 Freelance
SDLTrados2007_FL_822.exe 02-May-2007

which I am downloading at the moment.

Reading the instructions at SDL though, I see that I have to return the licence, BEFORE I install build 822. Now that is tricky, since I already deinstalled 820 last night and can't follow the instructions as per SDL:
Start -> Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> License Manager, From here please select "View Activated Licenses", Select your license then select "Return License"

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Kind regards,

Gisela
Collapse

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
You can download the flash presentation... May 11, 2007

... from Answer 2148.

As for returning the licence, you could always reinstall build 820, unless someone has a better idea.

Be
... See more
... from Answer 2148.

As for returning the licence, you could always reinstall build 820, unless someone has a better idea.

Best,

Giles
Collapse

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
failed activation May 11, 2007

Many thanks again for your advice, Giles.

I downloaded the installation patch, re-installed 2007-820, then tried to return the license. Alas, since I still can't activate the product, I cannot return the license either.

I registered 2007-820 (the DOS window coming up), my license is in the usual location, workbench and tag editor asked for the licens, workbench was ok, but tag editor kept telling me it couldn't find the path and would run in demo mode. Trying to activat
... See more
Many thanks again for your advice, Giles.

I downloaded the installation patch, re-installed 2007-820, then tried to return the license. Alas, since I still can't activate the product, I cannot return the license either.

I registered 2007-820 (the DOS window coming up), my license is in the usual location, workbench and tag editor asked for the licens, workbench was ok, but tag editor kept telling me it couldn't find the path and would run in demo mode. Trying to activate online brought up the same error message as before.

I de-installed 2007-820 and went through the same procedure with 2007-822, hoping that it would work, since I was never able to activate 820. Same procedure as above with the error message now being 'Failure to send request or receive a response for an unspecified reason. (Error code 50018) - different message, but still the same code.

I am inclined to just reinstall 2006 and forget about the blooming 2007. I am sure I spent a full day altogether on this issue.

Just can't figure out what's wrong at my end, since others seem to have been able to fix their issues.

If anybody has a bright idea....

Gisela
Collapse

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
SDL Support May 11, 2007

Hi Gisela,

If you haven't done so already, do submit a support request to SDL Support.

On a couple of occasions, I have been able to sort out problems with help from the support staff.
... See more
Hi Gisela,

If you haven't done so already, do submit a support request to SDL Support.

On a couple of occasions, I have been able to sort out problems with help from the support staff.

Still mulling it over, though...

Giles
Collapse

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Support May 11, 2007

Hi Giles - I have done that with an SDLX question some time ago and never ever heard from them... But I'll try again with this one.

Just deinstalled 2007 and reinstalled 2006, which seems to be working ok right now.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
sdl trados 2006 is still the functioning version May 12, 2007

Hi! why do I have to undergo that headache with windows vista and word 2007 and then trados 2007 all that can take another 2 years, i am happy with sdl trados 2006, functions and gives my results. My attempt is not to discourage anyone, but it is a known fact that Microsoft comes with upgrades, and refinement, the same applies to office package, now trados 2007 too. When I am in a translation process, I am sure to lose that project while working in this environment, I fel it is not yet secure. E... See more
Hi! why do I have to undergo that headache with windows vista and word 2007 and then trados 2007 all that can take another 2 years, i am happy with sdl trados 2006, functions and gives my results. My attempt is not to discourage anyone, but it is a known fact that Microsoft comes with upgrades, and refinement, the same applies to office package, now trados 2007 too. When I am in a translation process, I am sure to lose that project while working in this environment, I fel it is not yet secure. Else Iwish you all the best with your ventures. One could buy this product today and probably also next year. By then things will be somewhat settled or smoother. BrandisCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Could not contact activation server (Error code 50018)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »