https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/72760-trados_word_error_message_%22a_translation_unit_may_still_be_open_close_it_before_you_continue%22.html

Trados/Word error message: "a translation unit may still be open. Close it before you continue"
Thread poster: Alexandra Timmis
Alexandra Timmis
Alexandra Timmis
Germany
Local time: 18:58
English to German
+ ...
May 11, 2007

Hi!

I am working with Translator's Workbench Version 7.x Freelance and have ground to a halt.

When I try to open a new translation unit I get the following error message: "a translation unit may still be open. Close it before you continue" (it appears in the Word status bar at the bottom of the screen).

When I then try to close a unit, I get a "run time error 5: invalid procedure call or invalid argument" from Microsoft Visual Basic.

I have clo
... See more
Hi!

I am working with Translator's Workbench Version 7.x Freelance and have ground to a halt.

When I try to open a new translation unit I get the following error message: "a translation unit may still be open. Close it before you continue" (it appears in the Word status bar at the bottom of the screen).

When I then try to close a unit, I get a "run time error 5: invalid procedure call or invalid argument" from Microsoft Visual Basic.

I have closed all programmes and re-started and have also closed down and re-started my pc, unfortunately to no avail.

Has anyone ever come across the same problem and knows how to sort it?

Thanks very much.

Please note original error messages in German:
"Vermutlich ist noch eine ÜE geöffnet. Schließen Sie sie, bevor Sie fortfahren".
Laufzeitfehler 5: Ungültiger Prozeduraufruf oder ungültiges Argument

[Bearbeitet am 2007-05-11 15:37]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Go to Insert, Bookmark and delete all, what has Trados in its name May 11, 2007

In German it is called "Einfügen", "Textmarke".
When you go there, remove all bookmarks, which do contant the word "Trados" in their name.
Then you will be able to continue your translation process.

HTH
Jerzy

Alexandra Timmis
Alexandra Timmis
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 11, 2007

Hi Jerzy,

thanks so much for your speedy reply. It has indeed worked and I can continue with my project now. Thanks so much.

BTW, I had also contacted SDL support and this was their speedy reply:

Please try the following:

1. Open the file in MS Word
2. Goto: Insert\Bookmark
3. Select and delete any bookmarks which start with tw4....
4. Now try the translation a
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

thanks so much for your speedy reply. It has indeed worked and I can continue with my project now. Thanks so much.

BTW, I had also contacted SDL support and this was their speedy reply:

Please try the following:

1. Open the file in MS Word
2. Goto: Insert\Bookmark
3. Select and delete any bookmarks which start with tw4....
4. Now try the translation again...

Have a good weekend,
Alex
Collapse

Laura Tridico
Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
French to English
+ ...
Adding my thanks belatedly... May 20, 2007

I just had the same issue, and found this post in my search. It was a lifesaver - thank you!!!!

Laura

William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
In my case I could open a new unit - Jul 16, 2007

this solved it straight away - many thanks!

[Edited at 2007-07-16 12:48]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados/Word error message: "a translation unit may still be open. Close it before you continue"

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »