https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/72864-trouble_opening_xls_files.html

Trouble opening .xls files
Thread poster: Vibeke Koehler
Vibeke Koehler
Vibeke Koehler
Norway
Local time: 04:51
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 12, 2007

Hi all,

I have been given two huge .xls files to translate in Trados (2006), but the files simply won't open in TagEditor.

The program just stops working and nothing happens. Other files open as usual.

I've gone through filter settings etc. but everything looks normal.

Do you think it might help if the outsourcer saved the files for me as xls.ttx before sending?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Marion Lurf
Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:51
English to German
+ ...
It might take a long time May 12, 2007

Hi Vibeke,

How long did you wait before you decided it was not working? Did TagEditor crash at all? If the files are indeed huge, then it might take quite a while for TE to process them. So why don't you give it another try and wait for, say, half an hour?
If you want, you can also send me one of the files and I can try it here at my end. In case it still doesn't work, maybe you could split the files into smaller pieces and then put them back together after translating them...
... See more
Hi Vibeke,

How long did you wait before you decided it was not working? Did TagEditor crash at all? If the files are indeed huge, then it might take quite a while for TE to process them. So why don't you give it another try and wait for, say, half an hour?
If you want, you can also send me one of the files and I can try it here at my end. In case it still doesn't work, maybe you could split the files into smaller pieces and then put them back together after translating them...? Unfortunately I can't think of any other solution either (other than asking the outsourcer, as you said yourself).

Good luck!

Marion
Collapse

Vibeke Koehler
Vibeke Koehler
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try waiting May 12, 2007

I'll give it a good long wait then
Maybe I wasn't patient enough!

Thanks

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Suggestion May 13, 2007

When I receive large xls files (multiple languages or multiple unused tabs) for translation, I copy and paste the text for translation to a new xls file. Then I open this file i TE, translate it, and copy and paste it back into the original xls file. That way you can keep the file size smaller.

Once you have saved an xls file to ttx format, your waiting time should over. After that it saves quickly.

J�
... See more
When I receive large xls files (multiple languages or multiple unused tabs) for translation, I copy and paste the text for translation to a new xls file. Then I open this file i TE, translate it, and copy and paste it back into the original xls file. That way you can keep the file size smaller.

Once you have saved an xls file to ttx format, your waiting time should over. After that it saves quickly.

Jørgen
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
When I receive large xls... May 13, 2007

even simpler - I use Word to translate.

My experience with excel files is 99% single columns of texts to be translated. It has a form of a simple table in Word and once it's been translated (and cleaned) you just cut and paste it back into Excel where the translation belongs. And I guess it works with multicolumn cases as well - warning: once the math kicks in (formulae etc), this is a nogo I assume.

Regards

[Edited at 2007-05-13 11:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble opening .xls files

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »