Thread poster: Wilmer Brouwer

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 21:09
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 13, 2007

I have just bought Trados after using Wordfast for a long time. A client wanted me to use it and it was worth buying it so I did. I have been working with Tageditor mostly. My question to all the people here who use Trados is why do people like it so much? It costs so much more than Wordfast and I am missing a lot of the features that I would like to have. I am sorry if this topic has been discussed recently and I don't want this to be a negative topic about Trados, but I would like it if they could tell me what they specifically like about Trados so that I may learn to appreciate it more too. And I also miss some things that may be there without me knowing it:
- How do I go up when I am translating to the previous segment?
- In WF I have a dictionary that gives all the words in the dictionary a different colour, can Trados or multiterm do this?
- In WF I can copy a segment from the TM if it has changed (and is yellow like in Tageditor) with just one key, I don't know the combination for this in Trados and can't find it in the manual.
- Are there things that WF can't do that I can do now with Trados?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
.TMX format May 13, 2007

Well, all you had to do was request the company to send you the memory in .TMX format and then you could have saved yourself the trouble.

I am actually working on a project for which the company had originally requested Trados. I bought wordfast licence and asked them to send me the memory in .TMX format. And it works just fine.

I don't know much about Trados, as I tried downloading it once and then there was some problem and I was already happy with wordfast so...

I know it does not help, but if you still want to continue working in wordfast, instead of trados, all you have to do is convert the memory to .tmx and the use it with wordfast... and then after working export the wordfast memory to .tmx and convert it to trados format

Guess it will be easier to use trados... but just in case.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tmx wasn't the problem May 13, 2007

Thank you for you response
The TM was not a problem, I have done many problems in the past with WF that I have used a TMX file for. I have never had problems in working with Trados files in Word.
With Tageditor it is more difficult. I tried working with TTX files in memoq, but this didn't work. Ttxpress did work fine (only or some reason I had to open all the files three times before they work), but my client didn't want to take the risk. I had to make the promise that I would work with Trados. And that is what I did, so even if it had worked perfectly it still wasn't an option.

[Edited at 2007-05-13 14:54]

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Stay with WF May 13, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:
I would like it if they could tell me what they specifically like about Trados so that I may learn to appreciate it more too.

I doubt if you'll get too many answers to your question. Wordfast outperforms Trados in almost every aspect.

Regards,
David Turner

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:09
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
taking risks? May 13, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Ttxpress did work fine (only or some reason I had to open all the files three times before they work), but my client didn't want to take the risk. I had to make the promise that I would work with Trados.

Well, as long as you can open the final TTX in Tageditor and confirm that it looks OK - who cares what you did with it before?

When I discovered TTXpress, it was like a blessing.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cared because I promised it. May 14, 2007

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:

Well, as long as you can open the final TTX in Tageditor and confirm that it looks OK - who cares what you did with it before?

When I discovered TTXpress, it was like a blessing.

I made a promise, so that settled it for me. And it was a very big project and wouldn't know what to do if converting back to TTX failed right at the end. And there is the config file that isn't used in Wordfast with TTXpress and does seem to do something. But you are right I think that for most project WF and TTXpress could do the job fine and probably even faster and better so I am still waiting for Trados fans to convince me of the opposite.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Previous segment May 14, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

- How do I go up when I am translating to the previous segment?

You can either use the freeware Ando tools plug-in:

http://atools.sunsite.dk/

which has lots of stuff including a "going back to the previous segment" feature, or you can use Yves Champollion's macro, described in this article:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/108/

HTH

Giles

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful article May 14, 2007

Thank you Giles, that article was very helpful. I don't think I will be using Trados in Word though, are there also solutions like this available for tageditor?

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TagEditor and the like May 14, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Thank you Giles, that article was very helpful. I don't think I will be using Trados in Word though, are there also solutions like this available for tageditor?

Hi again Wilmer,

As far as I know, there is no "back to previous segment" function in TagEditor, although I do have it in my other CAT (Déjà Vu). To be honest, I don't know why Trados has never incorporated the feature.

On the other hand, TagEditor is getting less clunky than it used to be and I find the quality assurance features particularly useful.

You were wondering why Trados fans prefer it to other options, apart from the obvious attractions of sticking with the market leader. After all, Wordfast can be easier to use with Word than Workbench and DVX has several advantages over TagEditor.

Nonetheless, I still tend to prefer Trados for its terminology management and extraction programs (MultiTerm and MultiTerm Extract), which integrate well with TagEditor and Workbench. This has a lot to do with the kind of translations I handle, though. Other translators with other workloads may prefer other tools.

FWIW

Giles

Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
Tank & Bicycle May 15, 2007

Hi Wilmer,

You are trying to compare two different vehicles. Both can get you from point A to B under certain conditions. A bicycle may be faster and more flexible on some roads but useless in other terrain.

You like a bicycle and ask why do other people like a tank so much? Well, they probably do not like a tank that much but it can get them through territories impassable by a bicycle.

Think of scalability, for example:

Trados can be used by a single freelancer for a number of file formats. But it can also be used by thousands of people in an organization like the EU and provide huge TMs and TBs in all the official languages in their offices across Europe.

So if a big customer like Xerox asked you to stick to Trados they had their reasons for it and you'd better keep your promise (as you did). TM from Wordfast (if created at all) would very likely cause problems for them and subsequently for you, too.

Good luck,
Pavel

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice comparison May 15, 2007

Hello Pavel,

Thank you as well for your answer and the nice comparison. I am not sure though that I totally agree, it still feels like I bought a tank and use it for going to the shop like I used to do with my bicycle before I might take me a while to discover more terrain where I can use it as a tank and enjoy all the benefits of a tank more

Wilmer

French to English
+ ...
David and Goliath? May 22, 2007

Pavel Blann wrote:
You like a bicycle and ask why do other people like a tank so much?
Pavel

A tank? Well, I guess that would square with their aggressive marketing policy! Maybe they should change their logo.

Seriously though, while Wordfast may have a bicycle-like download size (1.5MB against 270MB for Trados ), it now has plenty of clout: it's yahoo user group has over 5100 members, more than SDLX's and Trados' put together.

Regards,
David Turner

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some answers May 22, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:
...- How do I go up when I am translating to the previous segment?

In Word use Giles answer.
In Tageditor it is not possible, unles you move the cursor to the beginning of the previous segment after closing the current one. Has neveer disturbed me much...

- In WF I have a dictionary that gives all the words in the dictionary a different colour, can Trados or multiterm do this?

The words from the dictionary are marked with a red line above them in Workbench window - and you can easilly instert them using simple keyboard commands.

- In WF I can copy a segment from the TM if it has changed (and is yellow like in Tageditor) with just one key, I don't know the combination for this in Trados and can't find it in the manual.

The shortcut is ALT+SHIFT+INS (get translation).

Trados can handle much more formats than Wordfast can. It has powerful terminology extraction tools and is the most wanted CAT. Do I need more?

You can find the most important shortcuts described in this PDF document.

Regards
Jerzy

globtrax
English to Czech
Does Trados really work with terminology? May 24, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Trados can handle much more formats than Wordfast can. It has powerful terminology extraction tools and is the most wanted CAT. Do I need more?

Does Trados really work with terminology or does it require Multiterm? In Wordfast I can use the Glossary function which recognizes terms in the glossary and lets me insert term translations with a single keystroke. I believe that Trados cannot do this without Multiterm - an additional software purchase.

Am I wrong?

French to English
+ ...
Not really May 27, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Trados can handle much more formats than Wordfast can. Do I need more?

From the Wordfast manual:

Wordfast uses Ms-Word as text editor, thereby taking all formats recognised by Ms-Word. In addition, Wordfast can also be used to translate Excel and PowerPoint documents without the need of any filter or tagging device. Wordfast can handle HTML documents if the PlusTools freeware is installed, or if the HTML document has been tagged. Wordfast is compatible with the "tagged" format produced by RWS Rainbow, Trados Stagger etc., so Wordfast can easily be integrated in a Trados-based architecture to translate tagged files for FrameMaker, SGML, Quark Xpress, PageMaker, InDesign, etc.

Regards
David Turner

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados & Wordfast

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search