Thread poster: Shawn Morse
Shawn Morse
Shawn Morse  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:15
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 16, 2007

I recently installed MultiTerm 2007 (7.5.0.444) on my XP machine, but cannot get it to create a local termbase (or load a local termbase created with MultiTerm iX).

When I try to create/load a termbase, I get the "Please make sure that MultiTerm Server is installed on the machine you are trying to connect to." message. I try again and get a "Invalid pointer" message.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing it several times but to no avail.

Is there someth
... See more
I recently installed MultiTerm 2007 (7.5.0.444) on my XP machine, but cannot get it to create a local termbase (or load a local termbase created with MultiTerm iX).

When I try to create/load a termbase, I get the "Please make sure that MultiTerm Server is installed on the machine you are trying to connect to." message. I try again and get a "Invalid pointer" message.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing it several times but to no avail.

Is there something basic I'm overlooking here? Help!
Collapse

Mika Jarmusz
Mika Jarmusz  Identity Verified
English to Japanese
Access Restrictions? May 18, 2007

Hi Shawn,

I get the same exact error. Mine is an older version, 7.0.2-327 on Win XP. So, my MultiTerm cannot even operate "locally". Weird.

Upon reading the note in the documentation: MTUser_jp.pdf (copied below), I found that my computer does not allow me to uncheck the "read-only" status for my:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TRADOS\

Or my:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\

I don't kno
... See more
Hi Shawn,

I get the same exact error. Mine is an older version, 7.0.2-327 on Win XP. So, my MultiTerm cannot even operate "locally". Weird.

Upon reading the note in the documentation: MTUser_jp.pdf (copied below), I found that my computer does not allow me to uncheck the "read-only" status for my:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TRADOS\

Or my:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\

I don't know if "read-only" status of those folders, or my Norton Protection for that matter, has anything to do with it, and I don't know how to fix this problem. I look forward to the solution for this annoying problem.

[MTUser_jp.pdf ]

The MultiTerm master database and the local sample termbase are installed to the following default
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TRADOS\MultiTerm\Termbases\.
By default, a restricted user does not have write access to this folder and as a result, will not be able
to create new local termbases or edit the contents of the sample termbase. If you are a restricted user,
contact your MultiTerm or system administrator and ask them to grant you write access to this
folder.
Collapse

M. Mercedes Belmonte
M. Mercedes Belmonte  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I hope this helps May 18, 2007

I'm still using Multiterm 7 but hopefully my solution works for you as well. Multiterm started throwing "invalid pointer" and "class not registered" at me after installing it on my laptop. A week and lots of googleing before I found the answer somewhere: run separately each one of the .exe files under the OEM folder located under the installation directory.

It seems that the installation proccess could not execute this task properly due to the way dual proccessor computers work.

Günter Whittome
Günter Whittome
Taiwan
Local time: 17:15
Chinese to German
+ ...
MT 2007 installation issues May 31, 2007

Hi Shawn,

it's been quite a while since your message but these problems can bother one for a long time. I've had the same problem since the end of March (!) and with the help of Trados support (I got a basic support contract) I could successfully install MT2007 at least on another PC and on my notebook.
Today I finally managed to install it on my desktop (after reinstalling my whole system as the support suggested). However, I suspect the problem was another one:
- when
... See more
Hi Shawn,

it's been quite a while since your message but these problems can bother one for a long time. I've had the same problem since the end of March (!) and with the help of Trados support (I got a basic support contract) I could successfully install MT2007 at least on another PC and on my notebook.
Today I finally managed to install it on my desktop (after reinstalling my whole system as the support suggested). However, I suspect the problem was another one:
- when installing make sure that not only your anti-virus-software is turned off but also your firewall (because my desktop and the other two computers differred in this point). I didn't install MT Extract (for which I have a separate license) on my desktop (as I hadn't done so on the other 2 PCs either).
I also had the problem that installation didn't get completed. It was "registering Trados components" and just wouldn't stop. After approx. 1/2 hr. I forcibly stopped it through the task manager, then restarted my PC and immediately restarted installation (the installation window reappeared automatically), then installation was successfully completed.
I also found one more bug: if for some reason you delete a termbase or rename it and this termbase had already been opened with the MT toolbar in Word, the toolbar won't work anymore. So you should remove the termbase from the list of termbases in the Word toolbar before you make any relevant changes. If this problem has already occurred and the toolbar doesn't work any more (you get an error message), do the following (suggestions from Trados support to my installation problem):
1. >>Sometimes Word does a wrong copy of the Multiterm7.dot. To correct this
please do the following:
Please go to:
C:\Program Files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007\Templates
copy the Multiterm7.dot
if you installed Multiterm only for your Profile:
Go to:
C:\Documents and Settings\ccrispi\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
delete the Multiterm7.dot that is in this folder
paste the copied Multiterm7.dot
if you installed Multiterm for every user on your PC:
Go to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP - (here you will find a Multiterm7.dot only if you installed Multiterm for
all users of the PC)
delete the Multiterm7.dot that is in this folder
paste the copied Multiterm7.dot
>Could you please try to do a repair of Multiterm.>Please shut down MultiTerm
copy the ‘MultiTermMtTemplate.mdb’ file from:
C:\Program Files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007\Templates
To
C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SDL International\MultiTerm\Termbases
Then please register MultiTerm:
Go on:
C:\Program Files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007
Double-click on:
#_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat (I don't know whether this batch file is included in MT, if necessary I can send it to you).
Collapse

Shawn Morse
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT 2007 installation issues May 31, 2007

Thanks, for your suggestion. I will definitely try out these solutions. I suspect something went wrong with the installation or accessing the .mdb file.

>Today I finally managed to install it on my desktop (after reinstalling my whole system as the support suggested).

Did Trados support recommend reinstalling the entire Trados suite of applications or your entire operating system(!)?

acruzo
acruzo
Local time: 05:15
English to Spanish
Shawn: did you solve the problem? I have tried everything but still having this problem. Sep 27, 2007

Shawn Morse wrote:

Thanks, for your suggestion. I will definitely try out these solutions. I suspect something went wrong with the installation or accessing the .mdb file.

>Today I finally managed to install it on my desktop (after reinstalling my whole system as the support suggested).

Did Trados support recommend reinstalling the entire Trados suite of applications or your entire operating system(!)?

Shawn Morse
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MT 2007 finally working Jan 21, 2008

After several months of giving up on MT 2007 (but leaving it installed) and using good old MT 5.5, another ProZer who encountered a similar problem got me to thinking again about what the problem might be.

I started MT 2007 and, lo and behold, it worked flawlessly. I am able to create and open termbases without any error messages. Go figure!

I have made no updates to Trados since the inital posting. Perhaps there was a conflict or a corrupted or missing file that was re
... See more
After several months of giving up on MT 2007 (but leaving it installed) and using good old MT 5.5, another ProZer who encountered a similar problem got me to thinking again about what the problem might be.

I started MT 2007 and, lo and behold, it worked flawlessly. I am able to create and open termbases without any error messages. Go figure!

I have made no updates to Trados since the inital posting. Perhaps there was a conflict or a corrupted or missing file that was resolved over time.

I wish I could be more specific as to what the possible solution is. FYI, I am using MT 2007 Build 444 with Workbench Build 820 on XP Home.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when creating a termbase in MultiTerm 2007

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »