SDL Trados 2007 not working with Word 2007
Thread poster: Percy Balemans

Percy Balemans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 18, 2007

I received my new computer today with Windows XP and Office 2007. I managed to install Trados 2007 without any problems and it seems to be working fine with Tag Editor. However, it doesn't seem to work with Word 2007: whenever I click the Open/Get button, no translation unit is opened. All that seems to happen is that the first character of the sentence is selected.

Any ideas anyone? Or should I just get rid of Office 2007 and install Office 2002...

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-05-18 16:05]

Direct link Reply with quote

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:25
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Try TagEditor May 18, 2007

Hi,

why do you need Word for translating? TagEditor is able to handle Word files. At least my 7.5 is...

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
There May 18, 2007

Oops . ignore...

[Edited at 2007-05-18 16:46]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
There's an update from start of May - rel 822 May 18, 2007

have you dowloaded it? That would be for sure the first step to do.

regards

smo

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using .doc format instead of .docx seems to help May 18, 2007

Hi Vito,

Yes, I used the latest version.

However, I seem to have accidently solved the problem. After I changed the format in which files are to be saved (into "doc" instead of the new "docx" format) it works now.

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados should work with Word May 18, 2007

Niina Lahokoski wrote:

Hi,

why do you need Word for translating? TagEditor is able to handle Word files. At least my 7.5 is...

I know, but it's supposed to work with Word so I want it to work with Word.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 22:25
English to Portuguese
It does, but with terrible performance May 18, 2007

Hi

Take a look at the thread "Trados Workbench 2007 too slow in Office 2007" and you'll see that, after solving whatever is impairing your Trados 2007+Word 2007, you won't be satisfied either.

I strongly suggest Trados 2007 with Office 2003 (not 2002). Then it'll work OK. Trados is working with Microsoft to solve the issues of performance with Office 2007, according to insiders.

Anyway, if Trados 2007 is not working with Office 2007, and it should, reinstall Trados 2007. After that, go to Start menu, SDL Trados, and run "Register SDL Trados 2007" to register all item in the OS. After that, check if Word 2007 is showing the Trados item in the "menu ribbon". If it is not there, the thing will become a little more complicated. You'll have to apply Trados macros manually (Word 2007 Options, Supplements...). But that's an indication that something is not right.

Edric

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Performance is ok on a fast computer May 19, 2007

Hi Edric,

Thanks for your reply, but it does work now when using the "old" Word-format (although one should think it should work with the new format as well; after all, it's supposed to be compatible with Word 2007...).

Performance is ok, but that's because I have a brand new, fast computer; I can imagine it must be terrible on a not so fast computer. Even so, I hope they solve the issue soon, because I would definitely like a better performance!

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
Great it works OK May 19, 2007

Hi Percy

That's great you can have Trados 2007 working well with Word 2007. My system is a fast one too, with Vista Ultimate 64-bit, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, CPU Intel Core2Duo E6600, ABIT top of the line motherboard, but moving from a TU to another takes three or four times longer than the same Trados 2007 with Word 2003. A big Word 2007 file takes too long a time to fuzzy-translate in my system. That's for Workbench 8. When I experimented TagEditor 8 and was happy that the performance was OK, I noticed that the spellchecking function was not getting the errors, because I needed to execute TagEd "as administrator". That happens only with Office 2007. Trados 2007 with Office 2003 does everything almost OK, some "Illegal index" messages opening now and then...

Cheers

Edric

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm using Windows XP May 19, 2007

Hi Edric,

I'm still using Windows XP, maybe that's the difference. I would have expected it to be faster though, considering the machine I have, but it's acceptable. However, I try to use TagEditor as much as possible. I've only had one crash up until now, and that was Workbench. Fortunately, the file was still ok and I could easily recreate the TM by exporting it and importing it into a new one. Not ideal, but what can we do?

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
That explains it... May 19, 2007

Hi Percy

Yes, that should be the reason. I use Trados 2007 with Office 2003 in a Virtual PC 2007 session in Windows Vista, just to play on the safe side. Anyway, if you get fed up of crashes and other problems, try Trados 2007 with Office 2003 and you should have no problems. You know, bad things happen only late at night when the due date is early next morning....
Best wishes, Edric

[Edited at 2007-05-19 16:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 not working with Word 2007

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search