Help with Trados (PDF Files)
Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton

Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:26
Member (2007)
German to English
May 18, 2007

I just started working with TRADOS - it seems that .pdf files are not an accepted file format to import into TRADOS. I have converted the file into .doc and then imported into TRADOS, but the formatting leaves much to be desired.

Is there a way to either
a) import a PDF file (maybe I missed something); or
b) convert the PDF into a file acceptable to TRADOS that also looks close to the original?

Many thanks,
Brigitte

[Edited at 2007-05-18 19:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:26
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I beg your pardon, but May 18, 2007

how do you come to think PDF might be an accepted format for editing? This is per definition a format for protected documents. Portabla Data Format (PDF) ist designed to give the possibility of displaying text in very similar (ideally: identical) on various PCs. It also gives the creator the possiblity to protect the content from being extracted - for example in contracts and similar.

Beside this, the topic of converting PDFs to an editable format is a question, which keeps up popping in this and other ProZ fora quite regurarly, nearly weekly. So please use the search function. You may also wish to start with this or that or even that know-how article.

Regards
Jerzy

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:26
English to French
+ ...
AutoUnbreak May 18, 2007

This free piece of software is a real timesaver for this. It will extract all text from the PDF (provided it's not a scan) and will keep the formatting (boldface, bullets, etc). It also removes line breaks where they are not needed. The output is an RTF, which can be edited with Word and Trados. I recommend you proofread the resulting RTF - there are soetimes small glitches, like an occasional line break that was not removed.

As for looking like the original, well, you are a translator, not a desktop publisher. As long as the resulting document allows for your client to track which source sentence became which target sentence, your job is complete. However, it may be a good idea to let the client know beforehand that the resulting file will not be 100% like the original, and that you only offer translation, not DTP.

You can find AutoUnbreak here (free): http://digital.hollmen.dk/products/autounbreak/index.htm

All the best!

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 00:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
PDF May 20, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

how do you come to think PDF might be an accepted format for editing? This is per definition a format for protected documents. Portabla Data Format (PDF) ist designed to give the possibility of

PDF = "Portable Document Format" not "Portabla Data Format"

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Trados (PDF Files)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search