Very long opening tme of .inx files
Thread poster: dracopsycho
dracopsycho
Local time: 07:24
German to Polish
May 22, 2007

I use SDL Trados 2007 Build 822. I want to open .inx file in TagEditor. The problem is that .inx files open really slow. It's about 1 MB file in 10 minutes. With 9 MB file it makes 90 minutes just to open the .inx file. Is this normal? Is there any solution to speed up this process?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Pimp your PC... May 23, 2007

Hi Draco, and welcome to Proz,

Yep, the processing of INX can be painfully slow. They simply contain a lot of code for Trados to process

The only solution: cram as much memory into your PC as possible. A fast motherboard and processor would also help.

I'm running with 2GB RAM here, but it's still far from a breeze analyzing these pesky INX files...

Just for fun, why don't you log this as an issue with SDL support, and ask them for their recommended system specs?!

/Jan

dracopsycho
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
So I have to live with it then :) May 23, 2007

Thanks for reply

Just wanted to be sure that's ok to open it so long. Funny thing is that sometimes it opens just like that, but usually it takes time and I don't know why sometimes it's fast and usually doesn't. Also have 2GB RAM and Dual Core but I've seen that it uses only one core, bur it's not the topic about that

Anyway, thanks for reply, again

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
also depends of the state of the original .indd file May 23, 2007

I think it also depends on the way the original InDesign file has been put together, whether the formatting was applied locally or via styles, and how many images it contains.
Although you won't see the images in TgEditor, they will be there as tags so they can be all slotted back in the right place when the .inx file is converted back to InDesign.

Right now, I am sitting in front of my PC, munching crackers, waiting for InDesign to convert an 11MB file into an .inx file
The file is only about 40 pages, but with hundreds of images, mostly icons placed as inline graphics within the sentences - it's taking forever!

[It finished right now, after close to half an hour, and the resulting inx file is 4.7 MB, less than half the size of the original .indd file.]

It's not always TagEditor's fault!
Roberta

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Cleanse the INDD file May 24, 2007

Hi again,

Roberta is quite right. The INX could be full of junk code, originating from kerning, style overrides, manual line breaks, objects on template pages and pasteboards.

Fortunately, you can do a lot of cleansing to get rid of this arbitrary code, if you have access to InDesign and can open the file there first.

With some basic InDesign skills, you'll find that there are a lot of objects and formatting that is completely irrelevant for the translation, that you can delete before creating the INX.

I've posted many tips on this before. Make sure to read them, it will hopefully save you some time:
http://www.proz.com/post/560364#560364
http://www.proz.com/post/557990#557990
http://www.proz.com/post/540722#540722

Good luck,

Jan

dracopsycho
German to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
I can't agree with that ;) May 24, 2007

For me, formatting is absolutely relevant. I'm not translator myself, I work at translation office and we're doing DTP beside translations, so .inx file is really nice format to translate in TagEditor and then opening it again without layout completely destroyed

The only thing is speed of this. If cleaning the .indd file of styles actually gives speed boost, it means that the engine behind it could be optimised a bit, I guess. But it's a job for Trados programmers. And .inx files are really nice format besides speed, it's A LOT better than handling Frame Maker files

And Jan, if by any chance you should return TTX file to someone who wants to do inx file from it again, you shouldn't really clean it that way, you could give him a heart attack

Regards,
Adam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very long opening tme of .inx files

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search