Trados 2007 and FrameMaker 7.2: corrections to source doc generate add'l tags in .ttx file
Thread poster: LilianaV (X)
LilianaV (X)
LilianaV (X)
Local time: 03:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 24, 2007

Good Afternoon:

Has anyone used Trados 2007 with FrameMaker 7.2? The problem I’m facing is that when corrections are made to the source document in FrameMaker 7.2 before its translation (to fix punctuation, capital letters, grammar, etc.), and I run the doc through the S-Tagger filter, the .ttx file picks up every correction performed on the source document as a tag. (Right now the majority of the tags belong to “font changes”.) Thus, I end up with endless variations in the T
... See more
Good Afternoon:

Has anyone used Trados 2007 with FrameMaker 7.2? The problem I’m facing is that when corrections are made to the source document in FrameMaker 7.2 before its translation (to fix punctuation, capital letters, grammar, etc.), and I run the doc through the S-Tagger filter, the .ttx file picks up every correction performed on the source document as a tag. (Right now the majority of the tags belong to “font changes”.) Thus, I end up with endless variations in the TM for the same phrase, depending on the number of tags added by Trados.

The source document in FrameMaker 7.2 is originally written in Japanese. It is then translated into English by someone else, and then it is given to me for translation into Spanish. The problem I face happens during the English to Spanish translation process.

I would appreciate any help provided. I’m sorry if this issue was addressed before: I searched for it and didn’t find any info.

Thanks!

LilianaV
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does the PC, where FM is edited, have all fonts needed installed? May 24, 2007

When you see changes enclosed in font change TAGs, I would suppose, the PC, whre the correction has been done, did not have the original font of the document installed. If it is your PC, just look at the Framemaker Console - it will tell you about the font substitutions in your text. When the text with substituted font ist edited, you enter changes in a font you have (the one which is used as a substitution). And FM saves this information then - this would be what I suppose.

Regards
... See more
When you see changes enclosed in font change TAGs, I would suppose, the PC, whre the correction has been done, did not have the original font of the document installed. If it is your PC, just look at the Framemaker Console - it will tell you about the font substitutions in your text. When the text with substituted font ist edited, you enter changes in a font you have (the one which is used as a substitution). And FM saves this information then - this would be what I suppose.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

LilianaV (X)
LilianaV (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The PC does not have the fonts installed. May 24, 2007

Thank you, Jerzy.

Do you know if there's a setting that can be inactivated in Trados 2007 to stop this from happening?

The missing fonts are Asian, and I do not believe they can be installed in the PC (one of them is Kozuka MS Gothic).

Thanks again,

Liliana

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No, you cant't do this in Trados May 25, 2007

The changes should be done in Framemaker on the PC where all fonts are installed. You cannot tell Trados to ignore font changes within a sentence, unless you wish not to be able to convert the file back.
Howv ever, you can delete font change tags (remember always to delete the opening and closing tag!) when editing in Trados. Unfortunately there is no way to get this automated, as you must keep some of them in place.

Jerzy

LilianaV (X)
LilianaV (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again! May 25, 2007

Thanks, Jerzy, for your input. It was very helpful.

Have a good weekend!

Liliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 and FrameMaker 7.2: corrections to source doc generate add'l tags in .ttx file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »