Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 17:34
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
May 25, 2007

I recently installed Trados on my laptop (I usually use it on my desktop, which is my regular work computer) in order to be able to do work while visiting my family and friends in Mexico. Anyway, I'm trying to open an existing TM that I had stored on my external hard drive, and I get the message "(2) The system cannot find the file specified [File address]." My natural response was to copy the corresponding TM files to the laptop's hard drive to see if the external hard drive was conflicting w... See more
I recently installed Trados on my laptop (I usually use it on my desktop, which is my regular work computer) in order to be able to do work while visiting my family and friends in Mexico. Anyway, I'm trying to open an existing TM that I had stored on my external hard drive, and I get the message "(2) The system cannot find the file specified [File address]." My natural response was to copy the corresponding TM files to the laptop's hard drive to see if the external hard drive was conflicting with Trados' reading abilities, but I got the same message again.
Now, I'm pretty good with computers (studied programming, know how to use Linux, etc. - standard computer knowledge for someone who knows their way around but is not a computer wiz), so I don't think it's something really obvious that I missed (although that could be the case, of course). Furthermore, the license is working fine, and in this case I'm simply going to start a new memory (I wanted to expand this one because I send the TMs back to the outsourcer and thought it would be more convenient for them to have an expanded one, rather than a new one, in this case).
However, I'm sure this is going to crop up again, and it might do so at a time that is not as convenient. So I was wondering if anyone had ever run into a similar problem and figured out what the deal was (and how to fix it, of course).

Thanks a million in advance!

(If this has been discussed in the forums before, I apologize. I searched for it and couldn't find it.)

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-05-25 06:19]
Collapse

cry4moon
cry4moon
South Korea
Local time: 09:34
English to Korean
similar problem before.. May 25, 2007

yepp, I remember this problem, though I couldn't solve it at that time. I asked my client to export the TM into a plain txt file. Then I made a new TM(of course it's empty). Finally I imported the txt file sent by my client into the newly created TM. If you solve this, would you pls share it together.

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If I solve it... May 25, 2007

I'll be more than happy to tell you how I did. The problem here is that this is a TM that I created, and not the client's TM. While the client probably has the TM, I'm more concerned about TMs that I have and no one else has!

Dr. Stephan Pietzko
Dr. Stephan Pietzko  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to German
A solution? May 25, 2007

I had similar trouble some time ago, although it was a client's TM. Some special characters in the file/path name caused it. Rename your file/path and eliminate all "suspicious" characters (including "space") then try again. It worked for me...

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, it-s a different issue May 25, 2007

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I had already suspected that and did the renaming. There were no "suspicious" characters (I call them "DOS-incompatible" because they used to be that way in earlier DOS versions), so the only thing to do was to shorten the file name. Unfortunately, that didn't do anything either when I tried it (I just tried again for checking, by the way), so I'm afraid the issue lies somewhere else.

Dr. Stephan Pietzko wrote:

I had similar trouble some time ago, although it was a client's TM. Some special characters in the file/path name caused it. Rename your file/path and eliminate all "suspicious" characters (including "space") then try again. It worked for me...

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 02:34
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Logfile May 25, 2007

Have you created a new logfile?

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correct me if I'm wrong... May 25, 2007

but you can't even create a new log file if you can't open the memory, right? (unless you mean to check the "create new log files for different TMs" - or something like that - option, which I've already tried doing) I mean, I can create new log files with memories that I've just created, but that doesn't fix the problem. Unless I can create a new log file for the TM that I can't open, in which case I'd much appreciate it if you could tell me how to do it so I can see if it works!

B
... See more
but you can't even create a new log file if you can't open the memory, right? (unless you mean to check the "create new log files for different TMs" - or something like that - option, which I've already tried doing) I mean, I can create new log files with memories that I've just created, but that doesn't fix the problem. Unless I can create a new log file for the TM that I can't open, in which case I'd much appreciate it if you could tell me how to do it so I can see if it works!

BTW. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions so far!
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
several separate files make up a TM... May 25, 2007

You say you have backed up the TM to your external drive. If you did not physically move all of the files, or if you did not actually CREATE a TM on your external drive, you will not be able to access the one "visible" file which you may have dragged onto your hard disk.

I have made this mistake before and been VERY frustrated, but then Jerry explained it all in Budapest. Go into the TT folder in SDL Internation folder, and copy all five (I think) which all have the same name, but
... See more
You say you have backed up the TM to your external drive. If you did not physically move all of the files, or if you did not actually CREATE a TM on your external drive, you will not be able to access the one "visible" file which you may have dragged onto your hard disk.

I have made this mistake before and been VERY frustrated, but then Jerry explained it all in Budapest. Go into the TT folder in SDL Internation folder, and copy all five (I think) which all have the same name, but just with different extensions.

Good luck...!!
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but I had already copied all the files! May 25, 2007

Hi Bill,

All these are great suggestions and I'm sure they'll actually become a great source for anyone facing a similar problem (I say this without the slightest hint of irony, by the way).

Unfortunately, I did copy all the files with different extensions, and they're right there in the TM folder, so once again, I'm afraid that that wasn't the problem.

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
TWB version May 25, 2007

Are you sure the TM you have on your external hard drive had not been created from an earlier Trados version (especially if that had been a backup)?

For instance, if you created the TM with Trados 6.5 and now you have Trados 2007, you may not able to simply copy the files. The new twb may not recognize the format of an old TM.

Somehow though an update the old TM is recognized by the new TM but not if you add the TM on another version later on.

Have you trie
... See more
Are you sure the TM you have on your external hard drive had not been created from an earlier Trados version (especially if that had been a backup)?

For instance, if you created the TM with Trados 6.5 and now you have Trados 2007, you may not able to simply copy the files. The new twb may not recognize the format of an old TM.

Somehow though an update the old TM is recognized by the new TM but not if you add the TM on another version later on.

Have you tried to first copy the TM and then install Trados?

[Edited at 2007-05-25 11:08]
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same Trados version May 25, 2007

and the TM was copied before I installed Trados on the laptop. Seems like this is quite a problem!

Bram van der Hout
Bram van der Hout
Local time: 07:34
French to Dutch
+ ...
Thank you Bill! Oct 9, 2007

William [Bill] Gray wrote:

Go into the TT folder in SDL Internation folder, and copy all five (I think) which all have the same name, but just with different extensions.

This solved the problem for me (i.e. the same problem Marcelo describes). Thanks a million!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TM problem: "The system cannot find the file specified"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »