Thread poster: Sylvain Leray

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
Member (2003)
German to French
May 29, 2007

SDL Trados 7.5.0.759
Word 2002

When trying to save the file as target (.doc), I get the error message "Error while converting to Word document). I checked all the tags and fields, nothing is missing or corrupted.

Any hint ? Of course, I must deliver before noon...

Thanks in advance!
Sylvain

Direct link Reply with quote

Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Error while converting to Word document May 29, 2007

Try to clean up the ttx file in a new TM. Then, translate the original doc file and open the resulting ttx file. Using Alt* should complete the translation process.
Then, try "Save Target" in TagEditor.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check breaks in your original file May 29, 2007

Search for section break, page break and column break.
If you find any of them, check if it has a preceeding paragraüh mark. If no, insert one.
Should your search process end in a table - try to move the cursor with arrow keys. It happened to me, that someone inserted a page break in a table cell! Of course it was invisible, but it was there.

If you do any changes in your source file, you will have to convert it again to ttx and retranslate.

In the translated ttx check, if all field functions (field-TAG, use the search function for TAGs and search for field) are placed properly.

As the last instance: open your source file in OpenOffice, save from there as doc, convert this file to ttx, retranslate it using your TM and try to save this one.
Or copy the text without at least the last paragraph mark into a new document and try to use this one.

The problem is the Word file itself. Only it is a pity, Tageditor does not warn you on opening, when the file structure is damaged. Would it do so, one would know the file will not save as Word back again and would not start translating this file in Tageditor, but in Word instead.

Best regards
Jerzy

Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Searching for Tags May 29, 2007

Hi Jerzy, thank you for your reply!
How do I search for tags in TE ? Is there a special search function ?

TIA,
Sylvain

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, in Trados 8 May 29, 2007

Trados 2007 has a very improved search function, which allows you to search through the TAG text also.

In 7 I'm not sure, but very possibly it has this function not.

Jerzy

Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Well May 29, 2007

I have downloaded but not installed Trados 2007, so I'll have to do without it...

As I am in a hurry, I'm re-translating the Word document directly in Word...

Thank you both !

Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
SHP May 29, 2007

As I am translating the doc in Word, I discover tons of "SHP" field codes which appear only in the TWB window and which were not visible in TE nor in Word...
I don't know what these fields are, but the problems came certainly from them... the whole doc is a mess... oh my...

ezee
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Other methods of inserting tags without restarting translation? Aug 19, 2009

Can I visualise the file as text and just cut and paste in the missing tag? Is this possible? Recommendations of restoring source or recreating the TTX file is not very proactive if I have started my translation!

If you can help.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What do you exactly mean? Aug 19, 2009

Toni Ezeetranslations wrote:

Can I visualise the file as text and just cut and paste in the missing tag? Is this possible? Recommendations of restoring source or recreating the TTX file is not very proactive if I have started my translation!

If you can help.

What kind of problem are you experiencing?
Usually it is NOT possible to modify the original doc after you've translated it in Tageditor, so you most problably need to retranslate the file in TTX after it having been modified in doc. But if you just missed a tag, you can find that in Tageditor by using the Tag verifier there.
Or is it something compeltly different, what you want?
Please note, that it is good practice to open a Word file in Tageditor and do a small test with it, translating just one or two sentences somwhere in the file and trying to save it back as Word. If that works, you are on the safe side. And if not, you can trouble shoot before it is to late and the translation is already done.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor : Error while converting to Word document

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search