Rcvd .isc & multiterm files. What to do with them?
Thread poster: Harmen Rijks

Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:00
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
Jun 8, 2007

I use the latest version of SDL/Trados.

My client has sent a .isc file to translate and a whole set of multiterm files.

I have managed to open the .isc file in Tageditor, regardless of whether it's the correct program to use but have unsuccessfully tried to open the other files. These are one .xdt file, a glossary saved in xml, and 3 glossaries in MS Excel worksheet format. Unfortunately I have no idea how these files relate to each other.

As I haven't really used MultiTerm before and find the manual a pain to read I haven't been able to work out how to use the MultiTerm files. Opening the files through MT via File/Open is obviously not something this program does. Probably would have been to easy....

Could someone explain step by step what to do with them?

I tried calling SDL, but their support line is constantly engaged. There might be a few more people having some problems out there!

Direct link Reply with quote

Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:00
English to Russian
+ ...
The whole bunch - just a glossary Jun 8, 2007

The xdt is a termbase definition. Create a new termbase, telling MultiTerm to load an existing definition and point to the .xdt file. Then import whatever xml you have, hopefully it fits the termbase structure (should be client's export OK). And as the last step import the Excel data using Multiterm 2007 Convert.

Hope this helps.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 8, 2007

Boris Kimel wrote:

The xdt is a termbase definition. Create a new termbase, telling MultiTerm to load an existing definition and point to the .xdt file. Then import whatever xml you have, hopefully it fits the termbase structure (should be client's export OK). And as the last step import the Excel data using Multiterm 2007 Convert.

Hope this helps.

Hi Boris,
If only the manual could have told me this..... Worked out the first two steps by playing around with it, but couldn't work out where the excel files fitted in. I'll give it a try straight away.

Thanks

Harmen

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Can't convert! Jun 8, 2007

Harmen Rijks wrote:

Boris Kimel wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hi Boris,
If only the manual could have told me this..... Worked out the first two steps by playing around with it, but couldn't work out where the excel files fitted in. I'll give it a try straight away.

Thanks

Harmen

On step 4 I get a message stating: 'The conversion option could not be initialised properly. Excel can not be started.

Any idea what this means? I have tried with Excel 2000 open and shut, but it won't let me convert it.

C. Mouton  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:00
Member (2007)
English to French
How wonderful to find you! Jul 28, 2007

I started as a freelance in March past only, and I have been struggling with Multiterm glossaries.

It is wonderful to be able to find help here.

Thank you very much, Boris!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rcvd .isc & multiterm files. What to do with them?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search