Thread poster: Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 01:20
Finnish to English
Jun 9, 2007

Hi all,

I decided to update my software and went from Windows XP Pro to Vista Business and from Office 2003 to 2007. Doing so I also upgraded my memory from 1gig to 2gigs (my laptop has a 2 GHz Pentium Core 2 Duo processor).

While I was at it, I also went from Trados 2006 to 2007... and unfortunately it's slowed everything down massively. I'm not running out of resources - I'm only using 25 percent of my memory and it makes no difference if I run multiple applications o
... See more
Hi all,

I decided to update my software and went from Windows XP Pro to Vista Business and from Office 2003 to 2007. Doing so I also upgraded my memory from 1gig to 2gigs (my laptop has a 2 GHz Pentium Core 2 Duo processor).

While I was at it, I also went from Trados 2006 to 2007... and unfortunately it's slowed everything down massively. I'm not running out of resources - I'm only using 25 percent of my memory and it makes no difference if I run multiple applications or just translators workbench and Word.

Has anyone else experienced the same and, if so, how did you manage to solve the problem? I spend more time waiting for Trados to fetch the next sentence than translating it.

Thanks a bunch!

Setti.
Collapse

Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
Hi Setti, Jun 10, 2007

Try exporting your TM into a new TM. I've had similar problems and that solved it.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 10:20
English to Portuguese
That behavior is a known issue Jun 10, 2007

Hello

Take a look at the thread at "http://www.proz.com/topic/70046" and you'll know all those problems are a known issue, already being studied by SDL/Trados. No solution so far.

Being a Vista Ultimate user myself, I actually run Trados 2007 inside a MS Virtual PC 2007 session with Windows XP and Office 2003. It runs OK, but the work was much safer with Trados 2006+XP+Office 2003.

The problem is not Vista, but the new functions in Office 2007, which affect
... See more
Hello

Take a look at the thread at "http://www.proz.com/topic/70046" and you'll know all those problems are a known issue, already being studied by SDL/Trados. No solution so far.

Being a Vista Ultimate user myself, I actually run Trados 2007 inside a MS Virtual PC 2007 session with Windows XP and Office 2003. It runs OK, but the work was much safer with Trados 2006+XP+Office 2003.

The problem is not Vista, but the new functions in Office 2007, which affect the performance of Workbench 8 inside Word 2007 and Tag Editor's spellchecking with MS Office 2007 spellchecker engine.

Regards

Edric

[Edited at 2007-06-11 02:24]
Collapse

Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 01:20
Finnish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 10, 2007

Thanks for enlightening me.... I spent the better part of a day battling with an 800 word text and now I'm working on over 40k words so I've switched to use SDLX for now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados upgrade issues

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »