SDL Trados 2007 very slow - is this normal?
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 22:50
German to English
Jun 12, 2007

I very recently upgraded to Windows Vista and SDL Trados 2007. Trados is working, but is incredibly slow. It takes forever for segments to open and close. Ok, not forever, but probably a good 20 seconds per segment, which is really slowing me down. This process used to be almost instantaneous and wasn't really an impediment to the translation process. Now I find myself translating without Trados because I just can't afford the time it takes.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem or is there something wrong with my set-up??

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:50
English to German
+ ...
Have a look at recent discussions in this forum Jun 12, 2007

Hi Rebecca,

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem or is there something wrong with my set-up??

There have been numerous reports of performance problems, particularly with configurations including Vista and Office 2007 - you may want to take a look at recent discussions in this forum.

For any workarounds, it would be helpful if you could provide more details regarding your configuration (hardware, Office version, exact version of SDL Trados etc.).

Best, Ralf

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
4GB RAM needed Jun 14, 2007

Rebecca Holmes-Löffler wrote:

Now I find myself translating without Trados because I just can't afford the time it takes.

Seems like everyone has the same problem. You need a very fast computer and around 4GB RAM. See message # 74490.
Isn't technology wonderful?

Regards,
David Turner

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 22:50
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Where is message 74490? Jun 14, 2007

Hi David,
Thanks for the tip. I am "relieved" that other people are having this problem too. Where and what is message 74490? I entered it in the Trados search function under "Help" but it didn't come up with anything.
In other strange events, the Umlauts (ü, ö, ä) in the Trados commands in Word are displaying as some kind of Asian characters. Very odd....
Thanks,
Rebecca

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Downgrade Jun 14, 2007

Rebecca Holmes-Löffler wrote:
Where and what is message 74490?
Rebecca

It's in General technical issues: http://www.proz.com/topic/74490
but this issue is also discussed at length in here the SDL Trados forum, for example:
http://www.proz.com/topic/66324
http://www.proz.com/topic/73370

You might do best to downgrade to Word 2003/SDL Trados 2006, if you can.

Good luck!
David Turner

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 very slow - is this normal?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search