Trados TM as table?
Thread poster: Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
English to Swedish
Jun 13, 2007

Hi,
Does anyone have a quick and elegant solution on how to create a table in Excel of a TM with each column representing CrU, CrD, Source, Target, etc.

Best regards,
Cecilia

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:37
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Suggestion Jun 13, 2007

The best solution I can think of is the following, but it requires some programming.

1. Export the TM in txt format

2. Read the txt file in input, using a programming language (any would do, including the VBA included in the Office products).

3. Select the fields that you need and write them in an output file, in a convenient format. Discard the fields that you don't need.

4. Open the resulting file in Excel

The programmin
... See more
The best solution I can think of is the following, but it requires some programming.

1. Export the TM in txt format

2. Read the txt file in input, using a programming language (any would do, including the VBA included in the Office products).

3. Select the fields that you need and write them in an output file, in a convenient format. Discard the fields that you don't need.

4. Open the resulting file in Excel

The programming is necessary to select, include and discard the various fields, and to produce the most convenient format in output. I don't think the task can be accomplished using a simple recorded macro.
You may also want to remove the tags from the txt file and keep the field content only.

Note: in Excel there is a limit of 65500 rows per worksheet, if the TM is very large you may have to use several worksheet or not use Excel.

bye
Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2007-06-13 11:03]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic Jun 13, 2007

Please note the information given when posting a new topic in this forum:

There is a dedicated support forum for each of the main CAT tools
Use the relevant forum if applicable:

SDL Trados Support
Déjà Vu Support
Wordfast Support
Transit Support
CATALYST Support

Thanks for bearing this in mind in the future.

Best regards,
Ralf

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
Swedish to English
+ ...
Using a macro Jun 13, 2007

While Gianfranco's solution is undoubtedly the best, if your TM has an equal number of lines for each TM unit, then a macro is a quick, dirty and second-best solution.

Export your TM as a TXT file, and remove the RTF preamble.

Check that there are an equal number of lines from to (delete unwanted lines if necessary). If that is too time-consuming, use Gianfranco's method.

Record a macro to replace all the paragraph marks in a unit by a comma. Optionally
... See more
While Gianfranco's solution is undoubtedly the best, if your TM has an equal number of lines for each TM unit, then a macro is a quick, dirty and second-best solution.

Export your TM as a TXT file, and remove the RTF preamble.

Check that there are an equal number of lines from to (delete unwanted lines if necessary). If that is too time-consuming, use Gianfranco's method.

Record a macro to replace all the paragraph marks in a unit by a comma. Optionally delete the tags as well. Save as a CSV file.

Open Excel and import the file, specifying the comma delimiting character.

Very quick and easy. But I would be interested to know why you want to save a TM in an Excel file -- they seem entirely mismatched.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What about PlusToyz? Jun 13, 2007

For this kind of things I use regularly PlusToyz Plugin for Word - see my profile page for URL. You have just to export TM and the rest is done by this software. Of course you have it also the other way, so this is for instance perfect for spell checking your TMs.

regards

Vito

PS: I refrained from answering earlier - but it's too good not to mention it.

PPS: PlusTools / Wordfast have something similar afaik.

[Edited at 2007-06-13 15:14
... See more
For this kind of things I use regularly PlusToyz Plugin for Word - see my profile page for URL. You have just to export TM and the rest is done by this software. Of course you have it also the other way, so this is for instance perfect for spell checking your TMs.

regards

Vito

PS: I refrained from answering earlier - but it's too good not to mention it.

PPS: PlusTools / Wordfast have something similar afaik.

[Edited at 2007-06-13 15:14]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:37
English to French
+ ...
This is very easy to do with XBench Jun 13, 2007

Download ApSic XBench: http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html.

All you have to do is import your TM and then just export it as a CSV file. You can then open that in Excel and search to your heart's content!

All the best!

Cecilia Falk
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Jun 14, 2007

...for all the helpful tips and comments.
I ended up doing the whole thing in Word and had to skip the user, date and project information in the attribute fields (which was what I wanted to preserve).

Very briefly (for those who wondered) the scenario was like this:

I have a huge well-maintained TM that I have been working with and updated for years.
The client insists on feeding my translations into a TM of their own that they mainly use for analysis. Howev
... See more
...for all the helpful tips and comments.
I ended up doing the whole thing in Word and had to skip the user, date and project information in the attribute fields (which was what I wanted to preserve).

Very briefly (for those who wondered) the scenario was like this:

I have a huge well-maintained TM that I have been working with and updated for years.
The client insists on feeding my translations into a TM of their own that they mainly use for analysis. However, they know I never use their TM, but my own.
Anyway, now they had fed some other translations into their TM and sent it to me and I wanted to quickly filter these out to decide if I should enter them into my TM or not (quality issue).
I did not just want to update my TM with their TM.

What I did in the end was to translate their exported TM (after cleaning it from codes) with my and then I could check the new translations.

Sounds complicated, but it was necessary (I did not import the new text in my TM after all - I'd rather re-translate it to get it right from the start).

Thanks again!
Best regards,
Cecilia
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:37
English to French
+ ...
Here's what I do for similar scenarios Jun 16, 2007

Actually, it's to prevent bad things from happening that I do this.

When I work on a project for a client, however small the project is, I set up filters (text fields) which identify the client, the project and the document. This has many advantages, but in your case, the main advantage is that you can make up a TM with your own filtered units (you can easily do this if they are labeled) and import the client's memory into that, after having set the appropriate filters for the clien
... See more
Actually, it's to prevent bad things from happening that I do this.

When I work on a project for a client, however small the project is, I set up filters (text fields) which identify the client, the project and the document. This has many advantages, but in your case, the main advantage is that you can make up a TM with your own filtered units (you can easily do this if they are labeled) and import the client's memory into that, after having set the appropriate filters for the client's units. You then end up with a TM with both your and the client's units, but you can easily differentiate between them because of the text fields.

If you always work like this, you will never have to go through what you just went through now. Needless to say, this will also help you leverage your TMs because you will get to combine several smaller TMs into a bigger one for a particular project, but you will also get to split bigger TMs into smaller ones depending on what part of the TM you need, without having to read through it all. You can even go as far as applying different filter settings to different parts of the same document still within the same TM (I sometimes do this per chapter) to isolate subjects within a project - all you have to do is change your filter settings when you are positioned at the end of a chapter, section, etc. You may want to do this with terms and conditions at the end of an environmental report, for example. This way, if you have legal translation to do, you can recuperate the legal parts of TMs that otherwise deal with a completely different subject like environment. You can even make up a terms and conditions TM out of another dozen TMs and still exclude parts that have nothing to do with terms and conditions.

I sometimes use some of my health and safety TMs when translating documents in the field of engineering or environment. Whenever I Open/Get, I can see where the proposed match comes from and not only does this eliminate the need to search for a term but it also helps to determine which term the client prefers, as I can identify what their TU proposes because of the text fields. It comes down to searching in several technical dictionaries dealing with different subjects at the click of a mouse, and being able to identify which dictionaries the proposed terms come from.

It took me some time to work this out, and it seems complicated at first, but once you get into it, the little time spent on maintaining TMs this way is recovered tenfold in the time spent translating. I find that using text fields and filters is a lot more help than I would have suspected - the possibilities are endless.

[Edited at 2007-06-16 17:59]
Collapse

Cecilia Falk
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Attributes in TM Jun 16, 2007

Hi Victoria,
Thank you for your comments.
I do actually work extensively with attributes and TM maintenance in the way that you describe.
The problem here was that the same units existed in both TMs, and wise from experience I know that updating one huge well-maintained TM with another huge out of date not maintained TM containing terminology that has been changed is not a good idea.
Bottom line: I did not want to risk contaminating my TM...
See more
Hi Victoria,
Thank you for your comments.
I do actually work extensively with attributes and TM maintenance in the way that you describe.
The problem here was that the same units existed in both TMs, and wise from experience I know that updating one huge well-maintained TM with another huge out of date not maintained TM containing terminology that has been changed is not a good idea.
Bottom line: I did not want to risk contaminating my TM.

Best regards,
Cecilia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TM as table?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »