https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/75776-tageditor_txt_file_word_count.html

Tageditor .txt file - Word count
Thread poster: Exequiela Goldini
Exequiela Goldini
Exequiela Goldini
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 18, 2007

Hi,

I have a .txt file with tags in it which shouldn't be modified
Example
text to translate
I have never used tageditor but I read it supports xml files so I opened the txt file in Front Page and saved it as an xml file. I tried to open it with tageditor but I got the following error: "This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "seg". A tag setting file has not been defined for this document type."
I downloaded the ingen2 file and
... See more
Hi,

I have a .txt file with tags in it which shouldn't be modified
Example
text to translate
I have never used tageditor but I read it supports xml files so I opened the txt file in Front Page and saved it as an xml file. I tried to open it with tageditor but I got the following error: "This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "seg". A tag setting file has not been defined for this document type."
I downloaded the ingen2 file and followed the instructions but I got an error when I finished all steps, I cannot remember what it said exactly but it was something like "line 15 not found". Afterwards, I tried to open the xml file and open the file I generated with ingen2 in the tabs setting manager but I got this error: "error intializing the tabs setting file"
I have no clue what I am doing wrong as I am a newbie with Tageditor. I think that the problem must be that I can't convert a txt file to xml?

Also, is there a way to count the words without the tags using Trados.

Trados version: 7.0

Thanks a lot for reading! Any help will be highly appreciated.

Exequiela
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:19
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Jun 19, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDLX and/or Trados.

Please note the information given when posting a new topic in this forum:

There is a dedicated support forum for each of the main CAT tools
Use the relevant forum if applicable:

SDL Trados Support
Déjà Vu Support
Wordfast Support
Transit Support
CATALYST Support

Thanks for bearing this in mind in the future.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use the Tag Settings Wizard Jun 19, 2007

Exequiela Goldini wrote:

I have never used tageditor but I read it supports xml files so I opened the txt file in Front Page and saved it as an xml file.

Hi Exequiela,

I'm afraid you've messed up this project a bit.
Your first error: don't ever use Front Page for file conversions. It will introduce and alter data, that might mess up the file for your client.

Second error: you can't assume that the file is XML, just because it got tags. It could be any other format. (Probably a custon/proprietay format that the client created for a special purpose).

Exequiela Goldini wrote:
A tag setting file has not been defined for this document type.

I think that the problem must be that I can't convert a txt file to xml?

Also, is there a way to count the words without the tags using Trados.

Unless the client expressively told you that it's an xml, this is not the way to go.

You'll have to create a custom tag setting (*.ini) for this particular file, using the Tag Settings Wizard.
If you construct this .ini properly, Trados will analyse the segments the right way and count the translatable words only!

Search this forum for "Tag Settings Wizard" and try to learn how it works, understand the difference between external and internal tags, root elements, placeables. Dedicate a few hours for this, there's plenty of reading here on proz. If you don't have this time, maybe you'd be better off returning this job to the client.

If you feel that creating a tag settings file is way way too complicated, maybe you should attend a course or buy a book first?! If you live in the right country, SDL Trados has very good courses in TagEditor, that will get you started.
You've invested in expensive and powerful software, and should consider investing (time or money) in learning how to master it. Don't expect TagEditor to work "out of the box"...

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-06-19 11:11]

[Edited at 2007-06-19 11:14]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It's not the TagEditor, it's the text file Jun 19, 2007

....that's causing you problems: seems like you received it from one of the desktop publishing programs (InDesign?). For this kind of files the safest way is to look for clues in the TagEditor documentation and then have the DP program export the file in the correct way - with the correct extension, contents, tags etc.

There's three topics in Tageditor for instance, connected with Indesign:

InDesign Tags
Story Collector for InDesign
What's new

... See more
....that's causing you problems: seems like you received it from one of the desktop publishing programs (InDesign?). For this kind of files the safest way is to look for clues in the TagEditor documentation and then have the DP program export the file in the correct way - with the correct extension, contents, tags etc.

There's three topics in Tageditor for instance, connected with Indesign:

InDesign Tags
Story Collector for InDesign
What's new

so that should get you started on the right track.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tageditor .txt file - Word count

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »