Thread poster: Silvina

Silvina
Local time: 08:26
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 22, 2007

Hi there!

I would like to know how to translate InDesign files with Trados suite. I own Trados 6.5 and 7.0 but they have filters for Interleaf and FrameMaker only. I made a search in Internet and it seems that Trados 7.5 is the only CAT that has filter for InDesign.

Any word of advice? Your feedback would be highly appreciated!

Thanks so much and nice weekend.

Silvina

Direct link Reply with quote

Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:26
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
InDesign files Jun 22, 2007

Dear Silvina,

The Trados File Formats Reference Guide for 7.5 gives two procedures:

1. The classic one: by collecting, translating and reconstruction of the "story". Maybe this works in your situation.

2. The direct way, valid for The CS2 / Trados 7.5 combination: export to *.inx files, translation by TagEditor, using the InDesign CS2 filter and backwards.

I send you by mail this procedure.

Have a nice weekend,

Radu

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:26
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Jun 22, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum for any issues related to SDL and/or Trados.

There is a note shown when you post a new topic in this forum:

There is a dedicated support forum for each of the main CAT tools
Use the relevant forum if applicable:
- SDL Trados Support
- Déjà Vu Support
- Wordfast Support
- Transit Support
- CATALYST Support

Thanks for bearing this in mind for the future.

Best regards,
Ralf

Silvina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
InDesign files to work with Trados Jun 22, 2007

Thanks Radu for your kind reply!
Therefore, it definitely means that only Trados 7.5 suite has this filter for IndeSign files rather than Trados 6.5/7.0. Is this correct?

I own Trados 6.5 and 7.0 so far…..

Costantino Sbacchi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
DVX also has filter for Indesign Jun 22, 2007

[quote]Silvina wrote:

Trados 7.5 is the only CAT that has filter for InDesign.

Silvia, also Déjà Vu X has a filter for Indesign. You must save the Indesign file with "INX" extension, import it into DVX, translate it, re-export it. (I usually get files already saved with this extension from the client).
You can download the free trial version of DVX (you can use it for a month, ask for the activation code, they'll send it immediately) at www.atril.com

Good luck with your translation
Costantino

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
INX filters Jun 22, 2007

Please note that the Trados filter has a bug which makes it skip some elements grouped with pictures. What is worse, the items are not only untranslated, but they are missing from the final INX file altogether, so they have to be copied from the original (and then translated).

This may occur in specific types of objects, so your project may not be affected, but you better try out exporting the file just after you have imported it.

DejaVu worked perfectly with those files.

Also there is a freeware translation suite, Okapi Framework, which contains inx filter.

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Filters/Help/inx.htm

However, I do not know how good it is, so you better run extensive tests before you put some serious effort into translation.

Silvina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 7.5 vs Trados 6.5/7.0 for Indesign files Jun 22, 2007

Yes, I know that Deja Vu is a good choice for these files.
But the client prefers these files are worked through Trados. My query here is that I own Trados 6.5 and 7.0 and as far as I could make a research, I am afraid that in Trados suite only Trados version 7.5 has filter for Indesing files. I mean, I can not work Indesign files with Trados 6.5/7.0 suite.

Am I right?

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
INXS Jun 22, 2007

Silvina wrote:
Am I right?

With 7.5 you can translate INX files (not straight InDesign!) which are CS2 export files.
They may behave weirdly at times but in general are cool.

But you WILL need the INX files, not straight InDesign -whatever the extension- files.

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
InDesign and Trados 6.5 Jun 23, 2007

Hello,

you can use the Story Collector for InDesign.

Copy the Story Collector files to the InDesign Plugin folder and export the InDesign file to an isc file, which can translated with TagEditor.

Trodos 6.5 include the Story Collector plugin for InDesign 2 and don't know, but i beleave that from Trados 7 there is an Story Collector for InDesign CS.

For InDesign CS2 you can work with the INX solution directly in TagEditor from >SDL Trados 2006.

It is also possible to export one story from an InDesign file with the text export from inside from InDesign and open this file in TagEditor. The story collector plugins use these text export funvtion from Indesign too, but they export all storys in one file.

Regards

Hans

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Tag Editor Jun 23, 2007

Silvina wrote:

Hi there!

I would like to know how to translate InDesign files with Trados suite. I own Trados 6.5 and 7.0 but they have filters for Interleaf and FrameMaker only. I made a search in Internet and it seems that Trados 7.5 is the only CAT that has filter for InDesign.

Any word of advice? Your feedback would be highly appreciated!

Thanks so much and nice weekend.

Silvina

Hi Silvina,

I translated few weeks ago InDesign files with TagEditor. Everything worked just fine. I don't have InDesign in my computer, but I was able to open the files in TagEditor.

I asked then the client to send me translated files in PDF for checking, just to be sure, everything was fine.

HTH

Natalia

Katie01  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Just one other issue with graphics Jun 23, 2007

When I was working with Indesign files and attempting to use the "inx" files I had a problem afterwards with linked graphics. I don't know whether it was me that did something wrong when I exported the Indesign file as "inx", but all the links were destroyed. That meant that when I re-created the inx file, there were just grey boxes in place of the graphics. It can be a large job for you (or the client) to re-link the graphcis, so I would carry out a test process first.

Currently, I am using SDLX Elite with Indesign files and, apart from some of the segments being given for translation in slightly the wrong order, it seems to be working very well! And there don't seem to be any problems with missing fonts or linked graphics, everything is there when I reformat.

Good luck - it's great when it works!

Kathryn

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
This can be done automatically Jun 24, 2007

That meant that when I re-created the inx file, there were just grey boxes in place of the graphics. It can be a large job for you (or the client) to re-link the graphcis, so I would carry out a test process first.

Come on, you can re-link all graphics with only few clicks

Wojtek

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Keep your versions straight! Jun 25, 2007

Natalia Elo wrote:

Silvina wrote:
... it seems that Trados 7.5 is the only CAT that has filter for InDesign.

Hi Silvina,

I translated few weeks ago InDesign files with TagEditor. Everything worked just fine. I don't have InDesign in my computer, but I was able to open the files in TagEditor.

Hi Silvina, Natalia and all,

Natalia, you should mention which version you work in, otherwise your advice is of no use.

InDesign INX format (CS2) is supported from Trados 7.1 and above.
InDesign ISC format (CS) is supported from Trados 6.5 and above.

Technically, you could open an INX file in older versions than 7.1, but the cleanup and re-import will fail! So don't attempt this.

The two obvious solutions were already mentioned here:
1. Back-convert the file to InDesign CS, and make an export to ISC (with the usual caveats for CS2 features that are dropped during conversion).
2. Upgrade your 7.0 to a later version, it doesn't cost that much, really!

Good luck,

Jan

BTW, there's lots and lots and lots posted on this subject. Search the forum and you'll have all your questions answered!

[Edited at 2007-06-25 15:10]

Sonia Gouin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:26
English to French
How do you relink images to file? Jan 12, 2008

Working with SDL Trados 2007 and having this same issue with the gray boxes instead of images. How do you relink images? This would be done in InDesign CS2?
Thanks.

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

That meant that when I re-created the inx file, there were just grey boxes in place of the graphics. It can be a large job for you (or the client) to re-link the graphcis, so I would carry out a test process first.

Come on, you can re-link all graphics with only few clicks

Wojtek

[შესწორების თარიღია 2008-01-12 18:35]

[შესწორების თარიღია 2008-01-12 18:36]

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Do you have files? Jan 12, 2008

Linguiscience wrote:

Working with SDL Trados 2007 and having this same issue with the gray boxes instead of images. How do you relink images? This would be done in InDesign CS2?
Thanks.

Do you have the images (files)?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

InDesign files to work with Trados

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search