Thread poster: Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 29, 2007

Hello

A client of mine has several memories from DE into different continental languages, one of them being Spanish. All DE source segments are the same for all memories.

He is asking me use these memories to create new ones in which the source language would be Spanish.

I have warned them of the risks this process entails but they insist in that they just want to use these memories as second or ancillary ones. This is my main client and I cannot refuse to comply with their request

I know the process can be done but don't know exactly how. Someone mentioned it as "linking segments from different memories"

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks a lot in advance

Regards

gabriel

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not sure I got it right but... Jun 29, 2007

Hola, Gabriel.

I am not sure I've totally understood the situation:

You want to take the DE-ES translation memories (from now on, TM) and turn them into an ES-DE TM?

If that's the case, this is the procedure:
1) Open your DE-ES TM
2) Go to File > Export
3) Click OK in the Export screen
4) Save the TXT export file wherever you want
5) Now create a new ES-DE TM (make sure the regional variations of both the Spanish and German match those of the original DE-ES TM)
6) In your new ES-DE TM, go to File>Import
7) Click OK in the Import screen
8) Select the TXT export file that you saved in step 4
9) There you go!

If you have several DE-ES TMs, you have to export all of them -one by one, I'm afraid- and then import them into your new ES-DE TM.

Please let us now if this is what you needed. Also, feel free to contact me privately if you'd rather further help in Spanish.

Regards,
Jerónimo

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Note: You can export just everything... Jun 29, 2007

lets say create 10 TXT files out of 10 TMs. When you import those 10 files (into a DE>ES TM for instance), only the segments with the corresponding language pair will be accepted, all the rest ignored.

[Edited at 2007-06-29 21:28]

Rosetta Stone  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for not explaining it better.... Jun 30, 2007

Thank you guys for the help.
However, what you guys tell me is just the "easy" part of turning these memories over: turning a DE into ES memory into an ES into DE memory (which is exactly the process Jerónimo explained)
Now the difficult part is this:
All memories (DE into IT, DE into FR, DE into ES, DE into NL, etc) have the same source segments (i.e is the same document in German translated into different languages).
What my client wants is to turn all these memories into memories in which the source segments are the Spanish ones (i.e. ES into NL, ES into FR, ES into DE, etc.) This last one, like you and I already know is easy to get. What I don't know is how to use the other "original" memories (DE into FR, for instance) to link the target language (FR) to the target Spanish segments that will have turned into the source segments of the "new" memories.
My client knows it can be done (someone has apparently done it for them before), and I know it can be done and that it is known as "linking segments", but I just do not know how to do it.
Any ideas?
Thank you guys for your time and help

Regards
gabriel

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
The MetaTexis Cross Import Feature Jun 30, 2007

Rosetta Stone wrote:

Hello

A client of mine has several memories from DE into different continental languages, one of them being Spanish. All DE source segments are the same for all memories.

He is asking me use these memories to create new ones in which the source language would be Spanish.

I know the process can be done but don't know exactly how. Someone mentioned it as "linking segments from different memories"

Regards

gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

I created a lesson:

Wordfast TM from MetaTexis Cross Import

http://www.condak.net/testing/meta_cross_pl/en/00.html
-
In Metatexis is a feature of Cross Import (TMs or glossaries).
In example is created PL-CS TMX from EN-PL and EN-CS files in CSV format.
If you have similar feature in your CAT, you can use it.

TMX export from MetaTexis can be imported into other CATs (in the example into Wordfast).

HTH,
Milan

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'd like to know too Jun 30, 2007

Hi again Gabriel.

OK, I got it now. I'm afraid I don't know how to do it or if can be done with Trados. I'd suggest that you ask at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/. It's a free forum for users of Trados Workbench and other Trados products. A lot of its users know a lot about Trados and are more than happy to help.

If you eventually find out how to do it (in Trados or otherwise), would you be so kind to share it with us here?

Thanks a lot in advance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to link segments from different TRADOS memories

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search