clean translation tags (Mod: Search for "hidden text")
Thread poster: EBoscolo
EBoscolo
EBoscolo
Australia
Local time: 14:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 29, 2007

I was wondering if it's possible to replace the translation tags with the the translated ones while translating in word documents. I had this this function when I started using TRados. While proceeding with the translation the tags were replaced by the new ones. NOw I have always have the doubel language on the text until I clean it. I'm traducing a technical text now, with a specific layout and the double tags turns upside down all the layout. anyone can help me? I'm using trados 7 freelance. <... See more
I was wondering if it's possible to replace the translation tags with the the translated ones while translating in word documents. I had this this function when I started using TRados. While proceeding with the translation the tags were replaced by the new ones. NOw I have always have the doubel language on the text until I clean it. I'm traducing a technical text now, with a specific layout and the double tags turns upside down all the layout. anyone can help me? I'm using trados 7 freelance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-29 12:14]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:19
English to German
+ ...
Search the forum for "hidden tags" Jun 29, 2007

Hi
What you describe is not related to tags (the purple markers delimiting source and target segments), but concerns the display of source text and tags.

This issue has been discussed numerous times in this forum - you may want to search for "hidden tags". In short, you should leave the full display activated whilst translating, to prevent damaging tags.

Best regards,
Ralf

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 12:19
Japanese to English
Au contraire Jul 2, 2007

Umm...Actually I think the advice is opposite. In Word, go to Tools>Options>Display and turn OFF hidden text if you want to see your final product without the clutter.

While leaving the source text and tags displayed may be one way of translating, I find it distracting, ugly and a disruption to layout. It also interferes with other useful functions, like automatic capitalization at the beginning of a sentence, and it slows Word down in long, complex documents because it gives the so
... See more
Umm...Actually I think the advice is opposite. In Word, go to Tools>Options>Display and turn OFF hidden text if you want to see your final product without the clutter.

While leaving the source text and tags displayed may be one way of translating, I find it distracting, ugly and a disruption to layout. It also interferes with other useful functions, like automatic capitalization at the beginning of a sentence, and it slows Word down in long, complex documents because it gives the software double the amount to position and paginate.

By definition, the only time you can really damage tags is if you're editing at the edge of a unit (ie, the beginning or ending of a sentence), so you just learn to be careful in those situations or make it a general policy to open the translation unit before editing. Quite simple. And if, god forbid, a tag gets damaged (which is depressingly hard with recent versions of Trados), it's easy enough to fix things at the end--search for "hidden text" and bang the delete key. Problem solved.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:19
English to German
+ ...
Personal preference vs. recommendation Jul 2, 2007

Hi Richard,
This may well be your personal preference - yet SDL Trados clearly recommend to leave source text and tags visible during interactive translation.

Richard Walker wrote:

Which is exactly what I do as well - but only once translation is complete, and I look at spelling, layout, etc.

While leaving the source text and tags displayed may be one way of translating, I find it distracting, ugly and a disruption to layout. It also interferes with other useful functions, like automatic capitalization at the beginning of a sentence, and it slows Word down in long, complex documents because it gives the software double the amount to position and paginate.

That's precisely why Trados recommend to work in 'Normal' view.

By definition, the only time you can really damage tags is if you're editing at the edge of a unit (ie, the beginning or ending of a sentence), so you just learn to be careful in those situations or make it a general policy to open the translation unit before editing. Quite simple. And if, god forbid, a tag gets damaged (which is depressingly hard with recent versions of Trados), it's easy enough to fix things at the end--search for "hidden text" and bang the delete key. Problem solved.

In that case, you would not incorporate any changes made to the damaged unit (usually, this affects units following in the same paragraph) into your TM.

I have no problem with your preference - after all, everyone must choose the way in which they can work most efficiently - I just wouldn't qualify it as a general recommendation.

Best regards,
Ralf

Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 12:19
Japanese to English
You're right, but... Jul 2, 2007

It is a preference, but it is a preference that solves the original problem, a messy document in which the translator can't tell if the layout is working.

"Normal" view doesn't really solve the reformatting/repagination issue. Word will do that regardless and it does become a problem in, for example, long tables (where again, bilingual viewing is a nightmare).

I agree with your point that a bum tag will result in a failure to update the TM, so you've introduced a corrup
... See more
It is a preference, but it is a preference that solves the original problem, a messy document in which the translator can't tell if the layout is working.

"Normal" view doesn't really solve the reformatting/repagination issue. Word will do that regardless and it does become a problem in, for example, long tables (where again, bilingual viewing is a nightmare).

I agree with your point that a bum tag will result in a failure to update the TM, so you've introduced a corruption. But honestly, if you're careful about editing close to periods and carriage returns, it's rarely a problem (and to be frank, it's one that Trados ought to solve by providing a way to identify and fix bad tags before clean-up, rather than just telling the unwitting translator that he's screwed).

But Ralf, really. Quoting SDL Trados recommendations? The program itself should be evidence enough that these guys aren't practicing translators. That particular recommendation seems to have been written purely for the convenience of the manufacturer (reduce complaints) with no thought for the needs of users (reduce eysores; have a coherent document to view), which is typical for this company but it's no reason for working translators to buy into it.

[Soap box mode off]
Collapse

EBoscolo
EBoscolo
Australia
Local time: 14:19
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 2, 2007

Dear Richard and Ralph, thanks for your replies. They've been really useful. I prefer working without hidden text in this case, cause it really messes up the whole layout of the translation. I'm a beginner and I have to admit I had some problem deleting tags... I don't know why but if I do something wrong the hidden text pop up again. Anyway, I've always solved the problem and now I'm going on translating much better than before. Thanks again and have a great day.
Elisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

clean translation tags (Mod: Search for "hidden text")

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »