Word file w/ embedded PPT: can I use TagEditor?
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:08
French to English
Jul 6, 2007

Hello,

After running a Word 97-2003 document with PowerPoint slides in it through Trados 6.5.2.417, the graphics were all corrupted. Can I use TagEditor instead, and if so, what format do I need to save my Word document in first?

Thanks for any help!

Stephanie

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:08
English to German
+ ...
You would need 7.1 for that Jul 8, 2007

Hi Stephanie,
IIRC the first TE version to support .doc files was 7.1.

HTH, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:08
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This will however not allow you to edit the embedded PPT slides Jul 8, 2007

As Ralf already stated, you can process Word in Tageditor beginning from version 7.1, however it is recommendable to have at least the SDL Trados 2006 Build 756 or newer, as there were a lot of modifications on the Word filter AFAIK.
Nevertheless, even if you open Word in Tageditor, embedded slides will be shown only as links in your tagged file, so you will have to edit them separatedly.
Tageditor will keep your formatting, so no changes in the embedded slides shall occur.

Jerzy

PS
I assume you translated the document and then used the cleanup function from Workbench. When your setup is as per default, you should have a *.bak file in the same directory, where your cleaned file is. Take this bak file, rename it to something.doc (it is in fact the billingual doc file ou translated), then open it in Word. In Word press F8, put two letters "tw" in the line for macro name, select the "tw4winmain.clean" and let it run. You may also need to open headers/footers and let them be cleaned by this macro too. After the cleanup in this way your graphics in the file should remain untouched. For the future please be aware, that this process does not update your TM, so in order to use it you will need an extra copy of the document just for updating the TM.

[Edited at 2007-07-08 15:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word file w/ embedded PPT: can I use TagEditor?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search