How to separate repetitions from the original file using trados workbench analyse functionality
Thread poster: Navy Huang

Navy Huang
China
Local time: 22:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 7, 2007

CAT: SDL Trados 2006
File to analyse: 500000-word file in MS-Word format

Can any one give me some advice on this:

Let's say I have a 500000-word project, 20% of which are repetitions, how can I separate the 20% repetitions from the original file?

I know I can use the "Export frequent segments" to export segments of 2 or more occurrences, but the problem here is I cannot separate the repetitions totally from non-repeat part in the original file. If anyone may be of any help......
many thanks beforehand.

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 21:34
English to Vietnamese
Export Unknown Segments Jul 7, 2007

I often use Export Unknown Segments (99% or lower match value).

Cheer!

Navy Huang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Repetitions may have 0% match value Jul 7, 2007

A file may have 50% repetitions but with 0% match value and I doubt "Export unknown segments" will play any role in the case. A wiser solution might be to separate (or "extract") the 50% repetitions from the non-repeat part and translate only the first occurrence of repetitions. What I want to do is only the first occurrence of repetitions should be left in the original file.

But how?

[Edited at 2007-07-07 14:46]

tvtruc
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Export Unknown Segments Jul 8, 2007

Haijun Huang wrote:

A file may have 50% repetitions but with 0% match value and I doubt "Export unknown segments" will play any role in the case. A wiser solution might be to separate (or "extract") the 50% repetitions from the non-repeat part and translate only the first occurrence of repetitions. What I want to do is only the first occurrence of repetitions should be left in the original file.

But how?

You doubt it, but have you tried it?

I suggest you should, because it works for me.

Navy Huang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nearly all TUs will be exported since they are all below 99% match value Jul 8, 2007

Haijun Huang wrote:

What I want to do is only the first occurrence of repetitions should be left in the original file.

But how?

Repetitions may have 0% match value and if one uses "Export unknown segements 99% or lower match value", nearly all translation units will be exported I am afraid. What I want to do is only the first occurrence of repetitions should be left in the original file and all repeat occurrence can be excluded from the file, so that when I divide the file into different smaller parts and assign to different translators repeat translation can be avoided.

Navy Huang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
haha, it works Jul 8, 2007

Truc Tran wrote:

I often use Export Unknown Segments (99% or lower match value).

Cheer!

haha, it works, thanks very much.

tvtruc
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
You're welcome! Jul 9, 2007

Haijun Huang wrote:

haha, it works, thanks very much.

You're welcome:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to separate repetitions from the original file using trados workbench analyse functionality

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search