Tag's Text Translation in TagEditor
Thread poster: snakepitar

snakepitar
Spanish
Jul 11, 2007

Hi to all.
I came with this question working with Trados TagEditor 8.0

Is it possible to translate a tag's content (i.e. text of a link tag, "A") and submit the traduction without the tag?
I mean, i've translated a link with text "Here", like this:
[a]Please click Here[/a] (i`ve used [ and ] to represent html tags)

i want the translation to be saved as

[a]Click here[/a] ---> Aqui

and not as (this is how it was stored):

[a]here[/a] ---> [a]aqui[/a]

because, latter in a document y may have the text "here" inside a sentece, like this:

I work here

and i want that "here" to be transtaled automatically, but because it was stored with the tag included, im not able to do that.

Is there any way to keep translating tags, but save only the translated text and not the entire element?

Thankx

[Edited at 2007-07-11 17:31]

Direct link Reply with quote

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:12
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Ancillary file Jul 12, 2007

Hello Snakepitar,

I usually work with FrameMaker-files when working with TagEd and I create an "Ancillary file" during conversion of the MIF. Normally the tag texts are stored in there, so I can translate them seperately and the German text is inserted automatically in the MIF-files during back-conversion.

If this project comes from an agency ask them how they converted the files and if there is an ancillary.

Hope that helps.

Good luck
Leena

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Several confusions Jul 12, 2007

Is it possible to translate a tag's content (i.e. text of a link tag, "A") and submit the traduction without the tag?

From TagEditor's point of view, you are not talking about tag content, but about content between two tags. It doesn't matter that these are opening and closing tag of the same type. Translatable tag content would be an attribute value, for example title="xxx".

i want the translation to be saved as

[a]Click here[/a] ---> Aqui

and not as (this is how it was stored):

[a]here[/a] ---> [a]aqui[/a]

The tags have to be saved into the translation memory. They are an integral part of both source and target segment.

because, latter in a document y may have the text "here" inside a sentece, like this:

I work here

and i want that "here" to be transtaled automatically, but because it was stored with the tag included, im not able to do that.

TagEditor doesn't work by words, it works by segments. "[a]Click here[/a]" is not similar enough to "I work here", so you won't get a match. It doesn't matter that the two segments contain the same word. (You would get a match for "[a]Tap here[/a]", for example.)

For matching words or short phrases, you should use MultiTerm. If you define "here"as a term, you would be able to insert the translation into both segments.

Is there any way to keep translating tags, but save only the translated text and not the entire element?

It wouldn't make sense. What if there was another "[a]Click here[/a]" later in the document? You wouldn't be able to reuse the previous translation as a 100% match.

(BTW, the ancillary file has nothing to do with this.)

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
oh I misunderstood Jul 12, 2007

I thought snakepitar was talking about tags like hyperlinks indicating a "here" (a chapter or part in the text).

This is what the ancillary file is for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag's Text Translation in TagEditor

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search