New source language in Workbench?
Thread poster: Quattro
Quattro
United States
Local time: 15:08
Jul 14, 2007

I normally translate from English into Danish, but one of my clients offered me a job from Swedish into Danish. She also sent me a small TM.

My problem now is that I can only choose English or Danish as the source/target language in my Workbench. I can't select any other languages. I imported the Swedish TM, but - of course - all the translation units are invalid because of this source language mismatch.

Is there any way I can re-configure my Workbench to allow for translation from Swedish into Danish as well?

I tried to create my own TM and select English as the source language although it is really Swedish and it seems to work, but I am worried that this might cause problems when my client goes to clean the file?

I tried to search in the Trados forum for help but without luck. I use Trados 2006 Freelance with Workbench 7.5.0.759, build 759.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 00:08
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I don't know the answer Jul 14, 2007

but I shall keep my eye on this thread.
I also normally translate from English, but hesitated when selecting source languages. Things might change...

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 17:08
English to Spanish
Reinstall and add Swedish Jul 14, 2007

That's the most acceptable and logical way.
Do it fearless, nothing bad will happen.

Quattro
United States
TOPIC STARTER
... Reinstall just Workbench or everything? Jul 14, 2007

Tadzio,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was hoping it would not come to that, but if that's the only way...

I'm afraid to ask the next question: Can I uninstall and then reinstall just Workbench or do I really have to reinstall the entire Trados package...?

*Fingers crossed*

Mexico
English to Spanish
Reinstall Full Program without uninstalling the previous one Jul 14, 2007

When I've been in the need of adding a new language, I just double click the program' Setup icon, and let it go (I always prefer to have all its applications working, so I click on "full program" when it asks).

When it comes the moment to add languages, I add my pair and the extra language as well.

After this reinstallation, Trados works just as before, but with a new language.

[Edited at 2007-07-14 17:24]

Quattro
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Where do I find the Setup icon? Jul 14, 2007

Tadzio,

It sounds (somewhat) harmless, but where exactly do I find the Setup icon, so I can reinstall Trados? I can't seem to find any "Setup" icons or files for Trados on my computer!

Although I do have the "SDLTrados2006_FL_756.exe" installation file. Could this be the one?

I appreciate your help!

Mexico
English to Spanish
Right. Jul 14, 2007

Marie-Louise Halvorsen wrote:
Although I do have the "SDLTrados2006_FL_756.exe" installation file. Could this be the one?

That's it!

Quattro
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 14, 2007

Super! I will give it a try.

Thank you so much for your help. This time around I think I will add Norwegian too - just in case!

Quattro
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Installation of this version cannot continue Jul 14, 2007

I tried Tadzio's suggestion, but Trados gave me this message:

"Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel".

After double-clicking on "SDLTrados2006_FL_756.exe", the option "Overwrite files without prompting" was already activated and I did not change this.

Does that mean that I would have to uninstall Trados after all in order to reinstall it and add Swedish as an additional language?

Mexico
English to Spanish
I'm afraid you have to uninstall and reinstall. Jul 14, 2007

Sorry.
No other way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New source language in Workbench?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search