Strange formatting when using Trados 6.5 with Word
Thread poster: Wei Peng Loy

Wei Peng Loy  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2007

Hi,

I encountered a problem with using Trados 6.5 on Word documents. My OS is Windows XP and Word version is Word 2003. My client sent me a job to translate a Chinese Word file to English. I was supposed to use his TM during translation.

Initially all went well. The next day when I continued with where I finished, I found that everytime I start a new translation unit (TU), the formatting of the source text (ST) will automatically change to italic bold, and the target text (TT) will change to bold. If I ignore it, this formatting will be saved when I close the TU. Then when I open the TU again, the same problem appears. Changing the formatting doesn't help because everytime I open the TU, the same problem appears.

Later on, I discovered this problem spread to my other files as well. I finished this Chinese job and went on to my other job, this time a Japanese to English job. The same problem happened when I open a new TU and the fonts and formatting changed. It's very irritating because I need to keep to a certain style and formatting when I do the Japanese job.

I tried to uninstall and install Word and Trados to see if the problem could go away. But it still didn't. I also tried copying a "clean" Normal.dot from another computer but it didn't help.

Have any of you encountered this problem before? How can I stop the irritating "auto formatting" from occurring? Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange formatting when using Trados 6.5 with Word

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search