Pamela Gulijczuk
Pamela Gulijczuk
Argentina
Local time: 01:21
English to Spanish
Jul 17, 2007

Hello everybody.

I have DTD and .properties files.

TagEditor has opened the .prop files without problems, though, I can´t make DTD files work in TagEditor.

I have checked TAG SETTINGS (that is, creating NEW, etc) but when I finish the whole process, TagEditor can only open .ini files and not DTD files

Have any clue? Are there some steps missing?

Thanks in ad
... See more
Hello everybody.

I have DTD and .properties files.

TagEditor has opened the .prop files without problems, though, I can´t make DTD files work in TagEditor.

I have checked TAG SETTINGS (that is, creating NEW, etc) but when I finish the whole process, TagEditor can only open .ini files and not DTD files

Have any clue? Are there some steps missing?

Thanks in advance!

Pamela
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:21
English to Polish
+ ...
an *.ini file is what you need Jul 18, 2007

Your client should have sent you an ini file for the *.properties fles (or the ini file should exist in the Trados installation.

Ini files are sometimes referred to as the DTD settings files which is misleading.

HTH

Piotr

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you sure you need to translate DTD files? Jul 18, 2007

DTD means Document Type Defintion and is the descriptive file for your documents.
Please look here for a description of what DTD is.
Maybe you simply shoud use those DTD files for creating ini files to translate your properties? Ask the customer.

Jerzy

Pamela Gulijczuk
Pamela Gulijczuk
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Are you sure you need to translate DTD files? Jul 23, 2007

Hello Jerzy.

First of all, I´d like to thank you for the information you have included (thanks!)

Now... yes, I do need to translate DTD files, and I don´t have the ini file Customer says this is all that I need.

Then, can you please tell me if there´s some way of making these DTD files work either with Tag Editor or WinAlign?

Thanks for your time and I really appreaciate you
... See more
Hello Jerzy.

First of all, I´d like to thank you for the information you have included (thanks!)

Now... yes, I do need to translate DTD files, and I don´t have the ini file Customer says this is all that I need.

Then, can you please tell me if there´s some way of making these DTD files work either with Tag Editor or WinAlign?

Thanks for your time and I really appreaciate your help

Regards

Pamela
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some quitations from "File Format Reference Guide" Jul 23, 2007

You can find this document in the Documentation section in your SDL Trados program group.
Key Term Definition
The following terms occur frequently in this chapter:

• XML – Extensible Markup Language. XML is a metalanguage, which enables a general
    availability and interchange of information that is structured according to its content. Both
    DTD and schema-based XML formats are supported.
  • DTD – Document Type Definition. A DTD is a text file that stores the structure of an HTML,
    SGML, or XML document and it also defines the structure, elements and conventions to
    which a document must conform. A DTD is separate from the HTML, SGML, or XML
    document itself.
  • Tag Settings File – Document that contains information necessary for processing documents
    that conform to a particular DTD, schema or other formatting source. For example a tag
    settings file is required to process and format HTML, XML, and SGML documents for
    translation or alignment purposes. Tag settings files (also known as initialization files) have
    the extension *.ini.

What is a DTD?
The structure of HTML, XML, and SGML documents is usually stored in a text file that is separate from the document itself. This file is called the document type definition (DTD). The DTD for a particular document type defines the structure, elements and conventions to which a document must conform. An example of a widely-used DTD is the HTML 4.0 DTD: all HTML 4.0 documents are based on this DTD. Many other standard DTDs have been designed, such as the book, article and serial DTDs included in ISO 12083. You can also develop your own DTD.

So far the definitions - and according to them there is no translatable content in the dtd file.
Look how a dtd file looks like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v5 rel. 4 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Mr. Mustermann -->
<!--DTD generated by XMLSPY v5 rel. 4 U (http://www.xmlspy.com)-->
<!ELEMENT a (#PCDATA | br | a)*>
<!ATTLIST a
href CDATA #REQUIRED
target CDATA #IMPLIED
title CDATA #IMPLIED
>
<!ELEMENT area (panel*)>
<!ATTLIST area
id CDATA #REQUIRED
code CDATA #REQUIRED
>
<!ELEMENT b (#PCDATA | i | br)*>
<!ELEMENT br EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT div (p)>
<!ATTLIST div
class CDATA #REQUIRED
>
<!ELEMENT em (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT kbd (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT h1 (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT h2 (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT i (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT img EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST img
width CDATA #REQUIRED
height CDATA #REQUIRED
border CDATA #REQUIRED
src CDATA #REQUIRED
alt CDATA #REQUIRED
>
<!ELEMENT li (#PCDATA | a | i | b | br | em | tt | img)*>
<!ELEMENT website (page+)>
<!ATTLIST website
make CDATA #REQUIRED
target:lang CDATA #REQUIRED
source:lang CDATA #REQUIRED
>
<!ELEMENT p (#PCDATA | em | a | br)*>
<!ELEMENT page (area+)>
<!ATTLIST page
id CDATA #REQUIRED
url CDATA #REQUIRED
>
<!ELEMENT panel (#PCDATA | br | a | ul | b | i | h1 | h2 | p | div | em | tt | img | span)*>
<!ATTLIST panel
id CDATA #REQUIRED
name CDATA #REQUIRED
>
<!ELEMENT span EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST span
style CDATA #REQUIRED
>
<!ELEMENT tt (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT ul (li+)>

There is no content you could translate. So IMHO this is a big misunderstanding between you and your client.
If you need the dtd to create your own ini settings, please refer to File Formats Reference Guide, where the process of creating own ini settings is described in very detailed way.

Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-07-23 08:27]

Pamela Gulijczuk
Pamela Gulijczuk
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Some quitations from "File Format Reference Guide" Jul 23, 2007

Hi Jerzy.

It´s me again.

Sorry to say this, but I do have translatable content in my DTD files. Have a look:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
!ENTITY minimizeWindow.key "m"
!ENTITY minimizeWindow.label "Minimize"
!ENTITY bringAllToFront.label "Bring All to Front"
!ENTITY zoomWindow.label "Zoom"
!ENTITY windowMenu.label "Window"
!ENTITY helpMenu.label
... See more
Hi Jerzy.

It´s me again.

Sorry to say this, but I do have translatable content in my DTD files. Have a look:
!ENTITY minimizeWindow.key "m"
!ENTITY minimizeWindow.label "Minimize"
!ENTITY bringAllToFront.label "Bring All to Front"
!ENTITY zoomWindow.label "Zoom"
!ENTITY windowMenu.label "Window"
!ENTITY helpMenu.label "Help"
!ENTITY helpMenu.accesskey "H"

And as it is a localization project, I need to translate only text that is between inverted commas.

Have any clue? If you do, please let me know

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Pamela
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You will need to create tagged files yourself Jul 23, 2007

Use Word for this.
Open the corresponding file in Word. Before we continue, be sure you know how to save the file from Word in "text only" format and with no changes to the file name extension. Check this in Word. Open any of your files. Put a word containing a lot of special characters in your language somwhere between the quotes ("..."), replacing what where there originally. Save this file for a test with the same name in a different location. When asked for encoding, chose "Windows enc
... See more
Use Word for this.
Open the corresponding file in Word. Before we continue, be sure you know how to save the file from Word in "text only" format and with no changes to the file name extension. Check this in Word. Open any of your files. Put a word containing a lot of special characters in your language somwhere between the quotes ("..."), replacing what where there originally. Save this file for a test with the same name in a different location. When asked for encoding, chose "Windows encoding". Then open the original file and the copy with Notepad and cmpare them. If everything looks allright, we are prepared to continue. If the word with special characters is somehow corrupted, try savin the file with a different encoding. Refer to Word help file how to do so.
When you know the encoding you need, open the first unchanged file in Word. (You may use the Macro recorder to automate the tasks we will be doing from now - if you wish to do so, refer to Word help file regarding the usage of Macro recorder).
Press ALT+F8. Put "sa" in the Macro name line, chose the macro called "sAddTagStyles" and execute it.
Press CTRL+H (or select Search&Replace). Click on "Advanced" to see "Search with wildcards". Select this option. In the line "Search for" put:
"^13* "
(please put exactly what I've written above - a quote, ^13, asterisk, space, a quote)
in the line "Replace with" put:
^&.
Leave cursor in the line "Replace with", go to "Format" in the lower part of Search&Replace tab, select "Styles", select "tw4winExternal" and press OK.
Execute the replacement, selecting "Replace all".
(if you were using the Macro recorder this is the point to stop recording).

You will see, that almost the whole text has been changed. You will now only need to mark the first line inculding the first quota (") sign and assign the style tw4winExternal to it, and also the last line up to the first " and the very last " sign in your document and assign tw4winExternal also to them.
Now you have a tagged text, which you can easilly translate in Word, using Trados.
After you're done, you just need to save the file as "Text only". All styles will be removed, so the file will look as it looked previously, but with translated content.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DTD files do not work in TagEditor

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »