https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/79471-does_tageditor_support_doc_files.html

Does Tageditor support doc files?
Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:32
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 24, 2007

Hi all,

I understand that I can open and edit regular doc files in TagEditor. However, every time I do that, I get an error message saying TagEditor does not support this format!

I am using Trados 6.5. Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Yes, but Jul 24, 2007

version 7 and higher.

However, you can ask someone with 7.0 to convert them for you into ttx and translate in TE. I don't know only if you will be able to convert them back to Word (File > Save target as...) by yourself or maybe you will need help once again.

Regards

Andrzej

[Edited at 2007-07-24 14:09]

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Maybe not truely a .doc file Jul 24, 2007

Open the document in Word and press F12 to "Save as". If it suggests another format, this reveals if it is not really a doc file. Save a .doc and try again.

Doesn't TagEditor i 6.5 support doc files?

BR Jørgen

[Edited at 2007-07-24 14:10]

Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is just a turnaround Jul 24, 2007

It's funny that I wanna do this mainly as a turnaround for the notorious curly braces problem!! I was using Trados 7 and downgraded hoping the problem would just vanish, but it did not

Also, the patch on the SDL Trados website is only for v. 5.5!!
Anybody knows of a more updated patch?

Otherwise, I am seriously considering using Office 2000, which is supposedly safe of the vicious claws of the curly
... See more
It's funny that I wanna do this mainly as a turnaround for the notorious curly braces problem!! I was using Trados 7 and downgraded hoping the problem would just vanish, but it did not

Also, the patch on the SDL Trados website is only for v. 5.5!!
Anybody knows of a more updated patch?

Otherwise, I am seriously considering using Office 2000, which is supposedly safe of the vicious claws of the curly braces!

Thanks again.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have you ticked off the checkboxes in TWB? Jul 24, 2007

In Translation memory Options\Tools you have two checkboxes for RTF & DOC filers to be understood in TagEditor.

They were around since quite some time - in any case in all 7.x versions.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
There is NO .doc support in TagEditor 7.0! Jul 25, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

They were around since quite some time - in any case in all 7.x versions.

That's a common misconception. Actually, TagEditor support for Word files was added in version 7.1. That and version 7.5 are the two 7.xes which can read .doc files.

Also note that TagEditor is not supposed to work with just ANY old .rtf files but "Workbench RTF" only. That's a special format which, IIRC, is used for files converted from FrameMaker and Quicksilver. If you have a regular .rtf file you want to work on in Trados TagEditor, better save it as .doc first.

HTH
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Tageditor support doc files?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »