Local time: 04:12
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 26, 2007

Hi,

I wonder If the following is possible within Multiterm 7:

Let's say I have one huge termbase with the following
Termbase Definition File:

Entry Level: Domain, Subject, Client (all picklists)
Term Level: Context

Although I have defined all Entry Levels as picklist, not all values will appear there, as I have imported a lot of separate files in this termbase and the picklists seem to not update automatically.

My prob
... See more
Hi,

I wonder If the following is possible within Multiterm 7:

Although I have defined all Entry Levels as picklist, not all values will appear there, as I have imported a lot of separate files in this termbase and the picklists seem to not update automatically.

My problem: In order to use the filter effectively for listing entries or for Import/export/deletion, I want to know exactly all the values present in the termbase for a particular Entry Level, e.g. all Domain values present in the termbase or all different Subjects.

Is there any possibility to force out such a list? Or: If Multiterm doesn't have such a command available, is it still possible to achieve such a goal?

Thanks for any help!

Mike
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Export and look in the XML file? Jul 26, 2007

My problem: In order to use the filter effectively for listing entries or for Import/export/deletion, I want to know exactly all the values present in the termbase for a particular Entry Level, e.g. all Domain values present in the termbase or all different Subjects.

Is there any possibility to force out such a list? Or: If Multiterm doesn't have such a command available, is it still possible to achieve such a goal?

Hi,

If I understand correctly, your problem is the following:

a) in your database definition you have defined certain picklist values for some fields. For instance, for the Domain field, you have defined "Medicine", "Computer" and "Economics".

b) In the actual data that you have imported you have many entries where the value of the "Domain" field is different (i.e. you have "Automotion", "Banking" or "Architecture").

c) You want to get a list of all values used in "B" and hopefully add them to the termbase definition so that they are available when you create or edit an entry.

Sorry for repeating, I just wanted to make sure I got it right.

The short answer is "no", I think. There is no automatic way of achieving this from MultiTerm.

You might want to use one of these two procedures:

a) Export your termbase to an XML file and work on it to extract those Domain values. You could open the XML file in MS Word and search for the field name and highlight all the occurrences. Then you can see what values are used. With a macro you could more or less easily extract this values to a text file.

b) Using the MultiTerm API, you can make an application which looks into each entry of the TermBase, reads the Domain field and exports the value to a text file. This would give you a list of values used.

c) Create a custom export definition which exports only the Domain field. This will give you a list of the values used for the domain field, assuming that they are always at the same level.

For any of these approaches you will need some technical knowledge but I think it is a knowledge which is worthwhile acquiring as it will help you in the future...

I hope this helps!

Daniel

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 04:12
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
edit first the definition file? Jul 26, 2007

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, you got it correctly: I often transfer files into MT that I have previously edited in EXCEL, adding the headers Domain, Subject etc.
Looks like that this is not enough: MT does not update the Termbase Definition after import.

So, if I understand you correctly , I conclude that the best is probably to enter the values in the Termbase definition file every time PRIOR of importing anything (or after !?).
I
... See more
Hi Daniel,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, you got it correctly: I often transfer files into MT that I have previously edited in EXCEL, adding the headers Domain, Subject etc.
Looks like that this is not enough: MT does not update the Termbase Definition after import.

So, if I understand you correctly , I conclude that the best is probably to enter the values in the Termbase definition file every time PRIOR of importing anything (or after !?).
Is this right?

Thanks again,

Mike
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Jul 27, 2007

Is this right?

Yes. You have to add them manually either before or after so that they work.

I think I would add them before importing. That's probably cleaner.

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 7: Access to a complete list of field values

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »